Engineering Materials and Science I
Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Materials Science Engineering
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units10
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
The purpose of this module is to introduce a novice learner to the most commonly employed engineering materials and provides the learner with the necessary understanding of terminology used to describe engineering materials and their properties as well as the application of these materials. Learners will be exposed to the basic concepts of materials testing methods as well as various aspects of metallic corrosion.
After completion of this module, learners will be able to:
- describe the properties of various groups of engineering materials;
- demonstrate an understanding of basic crystallography by doing various calculations and describing the solidification process of pure metals;
- demonstrate an understanding of and apply basic concepts of mechanical testing and evaluate the resultant properties obtained;
- understand the basics of the iron-iron carbide diagram and explain the various heat treatments of steel (equilibrium and non-equilibrium);
- demonstrate an understanding of the basic forms of corrosion and be able to apply this knowledge in order to suggest ways to combat corrosion.
Classification of engineering materials, atomic structure of materials, crystal structure and solidification, mechanical properties and deformation of metals, steel and its heat treatment, environmental stability of materials.