Political Issues, Theories and Concepts
Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units6
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units0
Hours & Credits
This module is important since it aims to provide the student with a critical understanding of basic political issues, concepts and theories ? creating a foundation upon which the knowledge obtained can be applied in all other political studies modules.
On completion of this module, the students are expected to be able to:
- describe basic concepts that facilitate interpretation of political issues and events;
- critically explain relevant issues, concepts and theories of political studies;
- observe manifestations of issues in broader society and in the political arena.
This module compromises various units which focus on the basic political concepts and theories that facilitate interpretation of political issues and events in broader society and specifically in the contemporary political arena, namely:
- the nature of politics and the concepts of politics, power authority and legitimacy;
- the nature and classifications of political systems: democracy and authoritarianism;
- political leadership and democratic governance;
- constitutions and constitutionalism; and
- ideologies and emerging trends in the current world order