Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
To familiarise students with the concepts and understanding required to promote effective Teaching and Learning of curriculum studies in mathematics in the Senior Phase of the GET band. It serves to provide an understanding and implementation of innovative and effective modern pedagogies in the teaching and learning of ?Data handling and Probability? using application of real-life contexts in mathematics classroom situations.
On completion of the module, students will be able to:
- demonstrate competencies concerning all aspects of data handling required for Senior Phase mathematics in terms of the National Curriculum Statement (RNCS) for Grades 7, 8 and 9 (The Senior Phase);
- solve a range of selected problems effectively using either the Polya model or a similar but effective model;
- implement different methods of introducing, teaching and assessing data handling for understanding in the Senior Phase;
- mediate learning in the classroom so that learners are able to achieve Learning Outcome 5 of mathematics as stated in the RNCS;
- design classroom management tools such as a grade level work schedule, assessment strategies and units of works that conform to current policy and good professional practice;
- develop, implement and reflect on lesson plans that reflect a contextual, problem-solving approach through constructivist learning.
- Teaching mathematics for learning and understanding through problem-solving and mathematical modelling techniques using real-life situations.
- Mathematical and data representations in Senior Phase level.
- The study of measures of central tendencies, and its application to everyday-life situations using modern technologies in the classroom.
- Frequency and accumulative frequency tables, including the concept of functions in statistics.
- The mathematics of probability: Calculating and experimental probability.
- Polya?s problem solving in Senior Phase mathematics.
- Conducting practical research in mathematics classroom using available technology.
- Investigations and projects in mathematics classrooms.
- Planning and assessment in mathematics classrooms.