Contemporary Development Theories
Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
The purpose of this module is to introduce students to contemporary topics in development theories such as sustainable development, gender and development; people-centred development, neo-liberalism, and social capital.
The student will be able to:
- describe and assess contemporary development topics in relation to the development theories studied;
- describe and assess specific development interventions in the light of the theories;
- describe contemporary controversies in development studies;
- explain the interrelationship between the contemporary development theories;
- explain how the contemporary development theories feed into development praxis.
- Sustainable Development theory.
- Gender and Development theory.
- People-centred development practice.
- Neo-liberalism and social capital theory.