Tourism as an Economic Activity
Nelson Mandela University
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units1
Hours & Credits
The learner will be provided with a solid grounding in tourism as an economic activity, and its associated impacts on society.
- Students will have an underpinning knowledge of the tourism industry, its sub-sectors and contribution to the economy.
- Students will be able to discuss or describe the historical development of tourism.
- Students will be able to assess different approaches to studying tourism.
- Students will be able to identify and assess the economic impact of tourism.
- Students will be able to propose appropriate economic strategies for optimal tourism planning.
- Introduction to tourism: concepts and definitions.
- Development of tourism.
- Approaches to studying tourism.
- Components of the tourism industry.
- Impact of tourism.
- Strategies for optimal tourism planning.