Beginning Chinese Language
East China Normal University
Area of Study
Asian Studies, Chinese
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits6
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units9
Hours & Credits
This course is designed for beginner. By taking this course, students will improve pronunciation, learn radicals and core characters, understand basic grammars and structures. A variety of topics covered in this course, like family, job, food, time, date, hobby, weather, etc., which may help students get a great improvement in communication and expression, as well as understand more about Chinese culture.
- Master Chinese Pronunciation, 21 initials, 38 finals, 4 tones and neutral tone.
- Master the combinations of initials and finals.
- Master about 150 elementary words.
- Master about 25 grammar points.
- Master about 8 practical patterns.
- Master the basic knowledge about Chinese characters which including the strokes, writing orders and the structures.
- Be able to express opinion and talk about some topics on age, hometown, person, family, food, time, plan, etc.
- Be able to introduce oneself, greeting people, order food at restaurant, make a schedule, etc.
- Improve the proficiency and accuracy in Chinese communication and expression.
- Understand more about Chinese culture and society.
- Attain basic intercultural awareness.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations