Business, Global Studies & Korean Language
Pusan National University
Pusan National University (PNU) is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in Asia in the 2019 QS World University Rankings. Located in the hills of the northern part of Busan, PNU is accessible to the rest of the city via public transportation. PNU campus gives off the vibe of a small student town with its own shuttle bus system. ISA students will get the chance to have an authentic Korean experience by studying at a public university but will also feel very much at home on the campus. ISA students will have the opportunity to take courses from PNU's Global Studies and Korean and East Asian Studies programs. In addition, students can take courses from the College of Business, offering an opportunity to learn and gain experience from a fast-growing university, city, and country. Semester students may also participate in the numerous clubs and organizations available through the student activity center.
Spring 1 2020
Feb 25, 2020 - Jun 20, 2020
Oct 15, 2019
12 - 18 Credits
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Enjoy a semester abroad in a beautiful city while honing your knowledge of business, global studies, and Korean and East Asian studies! This semester program at Pusan National University (PNU) offers you a variety of courses taught in English as well as Korean language courses.
You will be attending classes together with Korean students, ISA students, and visiting international students from all around the world. Courses will be taught by local and international faculty. PNU's Buddy Program provides you with an excellent opportunity to interact with PNU students, which promotes friendship among Korean and international students.
You can combine the Spring + Fall OR Fall + Spring sessions at a discounted price. For more information about this option, please contact your ISA South Korea Site Specialist.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
- At the time of application, you need a passport that is valid for at least six months after the end of your program.
- You must have full-time enrollment status at your home institution and have completed at least one semester at the time of application to the program.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
On-Site ISA Offices
12 - 18
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
12 - 18
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
18 - 24
Course Availability and Selection
- The courses below reflects a list of courses to be used as a general guide while completing your pre-registration form.
- The confirmed course schedule will be emailed to you about a month prior to departure along with detailed course registration instructions.
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers and scheduling. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancellations.
- Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the ISA South Korea Program Manager.
- Per Pusan National University, 3 credits are equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credits. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student’s home university.
- Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students’ home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Course Level Recommendations
- ISA offers course level recommendations for the courses listed below. Please note that the course level recommendations are based on the host university's course levels. Each course is associated with a recommended academic level, 1-4. Levels 1 and 2 are considered lower division, while levels 3-4 are considered upper division. These ISA recommendations are intended to facilitate the determination of course equivalencies by advisors and credential evaluators at participants' U.S. home institutions.
Korean Language Courses
- Students will be required to take a placement exam at the beginning of the semester. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you've already completed at your home university. We strongly suggest that students who are trying to place into any level of language beyond true beginning prepare for the language placement exam by reviewing previous coursework.
- The transcripts from Pusan National University will reflect credits for each course listed below. Please be in touch your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
select allclear all
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing provides you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Korean lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor of South Korea. While participating in this program at Pusan National University, you will stay in the on-campus dorm with other international and visiting students. With an open and adaptable mind, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
There are differences in culture and lifestyle between life in South Korea and in the U.S. The key to a positive experience is flexibility. With this in mind, you can have a fantastic stay in Busan.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
Pusan National University Dorms
The PNU dormitories are conveniently located on campus, which helps you immerse yourself into Korean student life and get to your classes in no time. There is a shuttle bus that stops in front of the dormitory entrance and goes directly from the dormitory to the rest of campus. On the basement floor, you will find a cafeteria where you can have meals, included in the program cost. Additionally, the dormitories offer a fitness center, laundry rooms, and 24-hour convenience store. You will stay in a double-capacity room with a private bathroom inside. PNU dormitories have separate buildings for male and female students. With that, opposite sex guests will not be permitted to visit your room.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Seoul & Bridging Cultures Program
Seoul is not only the country's capital but also its cultural and economic center. The ISA Busan program will start in Seoul, where you will have the opportunity to visit some of South Korea's most important cultural sites and experience firsthand how Seoul has influenced the rapid rise of South Korea. You will also learn how to use public transportation in South Korea before heading to Busan to begin your program.
South Korea's Seaside Escape; Tongyeong
Spend a day visiting the beautiful, laid-back, port city of Tongyeong, situated along South Korea's southern coast.Take in the breathtaking scenery from the top of Mount Mireuk in Hallyeohaesang National Park, experience the busting Jungang market, a traditional Korean market, and observe the great works of art that line the walls of Dongpirang.
A Step Back in Time; Suncheon
Suncheon is a scenic city located just 110 short miles from Buscan's center. Take nostalgic photos as you visit the vintage K-drama film sets, explore the beautiful Suncheon Bay wetland reserve and learn more about Korean traditions at Naganeupseon Folk village.
Tsushima Island; Japan's Magical Gateway
Travel by ferry to this Japanese Island and behold the amazing Kaneishi Castle Ruins, Banshoin Temple, Hachimangu Shrin and Nakarai Tosui Kan. While on this overnight excursion, you will learn the history of the last princess of Korea and of the relationship between Japan and South Korea, as well as have the opportunity to wear the traditional Japanese Kimono and learn to make Japanese Matcha tea.
Cultural Activities in Busan
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Busan. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Busan special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included a tour of Haedong Yonggung Temple, seasonal festivals, a baseball game, multiple community service days and Korean movie nights.