Korean Language & Culture
Pusan National University
Pusan National University (PNU) is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in Asia in the 2019 QS World University Rankings. Located in the hills of the northern part of Busan, PNU is accessible to the rest of the city via public transportation. PNU campus gives off the vibe of a small student town with its own shuttle bus system. ISA students will get the chance to have an authentic Korean experience by studying at a public university but will also feel very much at home on the campus. ISA students will have the opportunity to take courses from PNU's Global Studies and Korean and East Asian Studies programs. In addition, students can take courses from the College of Business, offering an opportunity to learn and gain experience from a fast-growing university, city, and country. Semester students may also participate in the numerous clubs and organizations available through the student activity center.
Summer 1 2020
Late Jun, 2020 - Late Jul, 2020
Apr 25, 2020
6 Host University Units
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Embark on an enriching cultural and educational experience by participating in a five-week or three-week summer study abroad experience at Pusan National University (PNU). The Summer 1 program allows you to take one Korean language course, one academic course in English, and participate in interesting cultural activities on Fridays and weekends. The Summer 2 program is intended to introduce to the Korean culture by offering a mix of Korean Language classes and experiential learning through daily cultural activities and weekly field trips.
In both programs, classes are held Monday through Thursday with field trips organized on Fridays and weekends. All courses are taught by local and international faculty. No Korean language experience is required to participate. The classes are comprised of ISA students and visiting international students from all over the world.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
- At the time of application, you should have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the end of your program.
- You should have a full-time enrollment status at your home institution and have completed at least two semesters at the time of application to the program.
- Please contact the ISA Busan Program Manager with any questions.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
On-Site ISA Offices
Host University Units
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Course Availability and Selection
- The courses below reflect the most current list of courses released by the host university. While this list may be used as a general guide while completing your pre-registration form, the host university did not publish the final course list for this program. This site will be updated once ISA receives the final list of courses, along with a note notifying students of the change.
- All students are required to take Korean Language & Culture (Basic or Intermediate) class along with one academic course in English.
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers and scheduling. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancellations.
- Contact ISA South Korea Program Manager for detailed course syllabi.
- Per Pusan National University, three credits are equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credits. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student’s home university.
- Students wishing to transfer credits, need to obtain pre-approval from their home universities.
Korean Language Courses
- Students wishing to take intermediate level of the Korean language will be required to take a placement exam. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you've already completed at your home university. We strongly suggest that students who are trying to place into any level of language beyond true beginning prepare for the language placement exam by reviewing previous coursework.
- The transcripts from Pusan National University will reflect credits for each course listed below. Please be in touch your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
select allclear all
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing provides you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Korean lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor of South Korea. While participating in this program at Pusan National University, you will stay in the on-campus dorm with other international and visiting students. With an open and adaptable mind, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
There are differences in culture and lifestyle between life in South Korea and in the U.S. The key to a positive experience is flexibility. With this in mind, you can have a fantastic stay in Busan.
Pusan National University Dorms
The PNU dormitories are conveniently located on campus, which helps you immerse yourself into Korean student life and get to your classes in no time. There is a shuttle bus that stops in front of the dormitory entrance and goes directly from the dormitory to the rest of campus. On the basement floor, you will find a cafeteria where you can have meals, included in the program cost. Additionally, the dormitories offer a fitness center, laundry rooms, and 24-hour convenience store. You will stay in a double-capacity room with a private bathroom inside. PNU dormitories have separate buildings for male and female students. With that, opposite sex guests will not be permitted to visit your room.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Seoul & Bridging Cultures Program
Seoul is not only the country's capital but also its cultural and economic center. The ISA Busan program will start in Seoul, where you will have the opportunity to visit some of South Korea's most important cultural sites and experience firsthand how Seoul has influenced the rapid rise of South Korea. You will also learn how to use public transportation in South Korea before heading to Busan to begin your program.
Tongyeong is situated right on South Korea's southern coast. It has long been famous for being a relaxed and laid-back destination for Koreans looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Visitors come from all over the country to experience the region's popular seafood and natural wonders, including pristine forests and emerald seas.
Cultural Activities in Busan
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Busan. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Busan special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included kayaking, a baseball game, a yacht tour and Korean movie nights.