Popular Subject Areas
Korean Language & Culture
Pusan National University
Pusan National University (PNU) is ranked as one of the top 100 universities in Asia in the 2019 QS World University Rankings. Located in the hills of the northern part of Busan, PNU is accessible to the rest of the city via public transportation. PNU campus gives off the vibe of a small student town with its own shuttle bus system. ISA students will get the chance to have an authentic Korean experience by studying at a public university but will also feel very much at home on the campus. ISA students will have the opportunity to take courses from PNU's Global Studies and Korean and East Asian Studies programs. In addition, students can take courses from the College of Business, offering an opportunity to learn and gain experience from a fast-growing university, city, and country. Semester students may also participate in the numerous clubs and organizations available through the student activity center.
Summer 1 2022
Late Jun, 2022 - Late Jul, 2022
Apr 25, 2022
Forms and Payment Deadline
May 10, 2022
6 Host University Units
2.50 Minimum GPA*
A TEAN By WorldStrides Program
- Apply Now
Study Abroad Program Description
The programs are intended to introduce the Korean culture by offering a mix of Korean Language classes and experiential learning through daily cultural activities and weekly field trips.
- 5 weeks
- 2 courses (1 Korean language and culture course and 1 academic course in English)
- 6 recommended U.S. semester credits
- 3 weeks
- 1 course (Korean language and culture)
- 3 recommended U.S. semester credits
In both programs, classes are held Monday through Thursday with field trips organized on Fridays and weekends. No Korean language experience is required to participate.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
- At the time of application, you should have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the end of your program.
- You should have a full-time enrollment status at your home institution and have completed at least two semesters at the time of application to the program.
- Please contact the ISA Busan Program Manager with any questions.
A TEAN by WorldStrides Program
ISA's Asia and Pacific programs are operated by our partner division within WorldStrides, TEAN, who has over 25 years of experience in the region.
To apply for this program through TEAN, click the Apply Now button.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Orientation
Full-Time Resident Staff
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
On-Site ISA Offices
Host University Units
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Course Availability and Selection
- The courses below reflects a list of courses to be used as a general guide while completing your pre-registration form.
- The confirmed course schedule will be emailed to you about a month prior to departure along with detailed course registration instructions.
- All students are required to take Korean Language & Culture (Basic or Intermediate) class along with one academic course in English.
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers and scheduling. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancellations.
- Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the ISA South Korea Program Manager.
- Per Pusan National University, three credits are equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credits. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student’s home university.
- Students wishing to transfer credits, need to obtain pre-approval from their home universities.
Korean Language Courses
- Students wishing to take intermediate level of the Korean language will be required to take a placement exam. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you've already completed at your home university. We strongly suggest that students who are trying to place into any level of language beyond true beginning prepare for the language placement exam by reviewing previous coursework.
- The transcripts from Pusan National University will reflect credits for each course listed below. Please be in touch your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
select allclear all
Support & Funding
Resident Director, South Korea
Funding Your ISA Program
Wondering how you’ll fund your program? ISA’s got you covered! If you receive financial aid for your home university, you will likely be able to use those funds for study abroad too. The first step is usually speaking with your home university. Check out the steps for using financial aid here.
Need to know how much to budget for a term abroad? Take a look at the additional expenses you might expect, depending on your program.
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. We offer over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, visit the scholarships and grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing provides you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Korean lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor of South Korea. While participating in this program at Pusan National University, you will stay in the on-campus dorm with other international and visiting students. With an open and adaptable mind, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
There are differences in culture and lifestyle between life in South Korea and in the U.S. The key to a positive experience is flexibility. With this in mind, you can have a fantastic stay in Busan.
Pusan National University Dorms
The PNU dormitories are conveniently located on campus, which helps you immerse yourself into Korean student life and get to your classes in no time. There is a shuttle bus that stops in front of the dormitory entrance and goes directly from the dormitory to the rest of campus. On the basement floor, you will find a cafeteria where you can have meals, included in the program cost. Additionally, the dormitories offer a fitness center, laundry rooms, and 24-hour convenience store. You will stay in a double-capacity room with a private bathroom inside. PNU dormitories have separate buildings for male and female students. With that, opposite sex guests will not be permitted to visit your room.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Seoul & Bridging Cultures Program
Seoul is not only the country's capital but also its cultural and economic center. The ISA Busan program will start in Seoul, where you will have the opportunity to visit some of South Korea's most important cultural sites and experience firsthand how Seoul has influenced the rapid rise of South Korea. You will also learn how to use public transportation in South Korea before heading to Busan to begin your program.
Tongyeong is situated right on South Korea's southern coast. It has long been famous for being a relaxed and laid-back destination for Koreans looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Visitors come from all over the country to experience the region's popular seafood and natural wonders, including pristine forests and emerald seas.
Cultural Activities in Busan
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Busan. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Busan special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included kayaking, a baseball game, a yacht tour and Korean movie nights.