Korean Language, Courses in English & STEM Research
Hanyang University is well known throughout South Korea as one of the top private research institutions in the country, and it attracts some of Korea's top talent. In 2019, the QS World University Rankings ranked Hanyang University as number 25 in their evaluation of the best universities in Asia. Hanyang University was founded in 1939 during the Japanese occupation. Located in the eastern part of South Korea's capital, the university's campus is easily accessible to the rest of the city. Although in an extremely urban environment, the Hanyang campus is similar to most campuses of American universities and offers comparable amenities.
Summer 3 2020
Jul 03, 2020 - Aug 02, 2020
Apr 15, 2020
6 - 9 Host University Units
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
At Hanyang University you will have the opportunity to take two or three courses. Choose from a wide range of subjects including art and design, business and economics, communication and media, international relations, engineering, science, math and more.
Research Projects are offered as an academic course!
- 3 Hanyang University credits (3 recommended US credits)
- 80 hours minimum contact hours
- Monday to Thursday
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
There is no language prerequisite for this program.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Bridging Cultures Program
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
Host University Units
6 - 9
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
6 - 9
Course Availability and Selection
- For a complete list of Hanyang's summer course list, course syllabi, and tentative schedule, please see the page below:
Hanyang International Summer School Course Information
- Please note that this course list reflects offerings during the previous year's Summer program. The exact course list for the program will be available at a later date, although most courses will be very similar to what was offered during the previous program.
- You can take two or three classes and you are required to be enrolled in at least 6 credits total.
- Per Hanyang University, 1 credit indicates 16 credit hours of study per semester. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student’s home university.
- Each class offers a full-semester of coursework condensed into four weeks of intensive study totaling 48 hours
Korean Language Courses
- Taking a Korean language course is not required, however, we encourage students to do so.
- Students will be required to take a placement exam at the beginning of the program. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you've already completed at your home university. We strongly suggest that students who are trying to place into any level of language beyond true beginning prepare for the language placement exam by reviewing previous coursework.
To search for available summer courses in English at Hanyang University please click the "Go to Course Search" button below
Go to Host University Course Search HereGo to Course Search
select allclear all
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of Korean lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor of Seoul. You will have the option of staying in the on-campus or off-campus dormitory with other local and international students or secure your own housing and receive a discount from ISA. The experience of living in another culture will be both educational and rewarding as long as you stay open-minded at all times.
We strive to match your housing preferences with our available accommodations; however, housing preference requests cannot be guaranteed.
At Hanyang University, you can stay in one of the on-campus or off-campus dormitories, based on availability and placements. This will help you immerse yourself into Korean student life and get to your classes in no time! No matter which dorm you're placed in, you will be staying in an air-conditioned double room with free WiFi. You will have access to a coin-operated laundry, on-campus dining halls, convenience stores, coffee shops, and a basic fitness center.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
ISA excursions allow you to explore the picturesque, historical, and unique landscape of South Korea that you may not have the chance to visit on your own. While abroad, you will have the chance to go on a weekend trip and a day trip to the following destinations.
Busan is the second largest city in South Korea and it is the fifth largest shipping port-city in the world. Busan is located on the southern tip of the Korean peninsula and is well known for its natural beauty - beaches and mountains. Sometimes Busan is even called "the summer capital of South Korea." Beyond going to the beach, Busan offers a wealth of historical and cultural landmarks, such as Oryukdo Skywalk, the largest seafood market in Korea, Jagalchi Sijang and and the impressive ocean-side Buddhist temple, Haedongyonggungsa.
Cultural Activities in Seoul
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Seoul. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Seoul special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included tours of Gyeongbok Palace, The War Memorial Museum, shopping in the historical markets of Gwangjang, Dongmyo, Insadong & Hanbok and Korean movie nights.