Advanced English for Academic Purposes
Seoul, South Korea
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Course Description & Objectives
- This course is designed to help students develop their academic listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills in English, focusing on a variety of current topics aimed at students with advanced English proficiency. To achieve these goals, students will take part in group-work and in-class discussions, read short stories and a novelette, participate in online discussions/blogs, write a cited reaction paper, and complete one oral project.
Getting a Good Grade
- Come to class on time and bring your course materials.
- Always speak English in class and actively contribute.
- Pay attention (no excessive cell phone usage).
- Keep up with your assignments and submit quality work.
Course Requirements & Grading
- Participation & Attendance, 10%
- Online Discussions & Daily Work, 15%
- Literature Circles, 15%
- Reaction Paper, 20%
- Reaction Essay, 20%
- Oral Project, 20%
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Please reference fall and spring course lists as not all courses are taught during both semesters.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.