Topics in Comparative Literature B: Short Story and Novel
Area of Study
Literature, Literatures in English
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Host University Units4
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units0
Hours & Credits
Analysis of key themes, motifs and principles which integrate philosophy, psychology, politics, sociology and the history of ideas with literature around the world.
1. to explore the rich diversity of modern fiction by male and female authors from a variety of cultures
2. to analyze such formal aspects of fiction as narrative point of view, character, setting, plot, and theme
3. to be able to identify and discuss literary conventions and concerns within context
4. to be able to develop and sustain a valid literary research paper
5. to be able to identify and evaluate short stories from different genres
- Response Journal (5 entries) 20%
- Essay 1 (3-5 pages) 20%
- Presentation (5-10 minutes) 10%
- Research Analysis (5-6 pages) 20%
- Final Exam (textual analysis) 20%
- Participation 10%
1. Charters, Anne. 1996. The Story and its Writer.
2. Eagleton, Terry. 1996. Literary Theory: An Introduction. Blackwell, Oxford.
3. May, Charles E. 2002. The Short Story: The Reality of Artifice. Routledge, London.
4. Rosenblatt, Louise M. Literature as Exploration. 1965. Noble and Noble, New York.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations