Popular Subject Areas
Business, Hospitality, Social Science & STEM
Mahidol University was founded in 1889 by Majesty King Chulalongkorn, the Great Rama V, and is the oldest and most prestigious educational institution in Thailand. Located in Salaya, a suburb of Bangkok, Mahidol University International College allows students to study in a quiet, peaceful environment. Mahidol University International College (MUIC) offers most of the university's international undergraduate programs. Accredited by the AACSB and the Thai Ministry of Education, MUIC provides a high standard of international education and encourages independent and analytical thinking. The classroom encompasses an interactive environment, which encourages discussion and critical exploration of ideas. International students make up about 15% of the MUIC student body, offering an academic experience that is enriching and diverse inside and out of the classroom.
Spring 1 2022
Mid Apr, 2022 - Late Jul, 2022
Jan 01, 2022
Forms and Payment Deadline
Jan 15, 2022
16 Host University Units
2.50 Minimum GPA*
A TEAN By WorldStrides Program
- Apply Now
Study Abroad Program Description
Immerse yourself into Thai culture and boost your academic knowledge while studying abroad at Mahidol University, the leading university in Thailand.
This study abroad program, based in Salaya just outside of Bangkok, is focusing on various disciplines including Business, Economics, Social and Natural Science and more. You can take four to five classes abroad and participate in Mahidol University student organization activities to experience the Thai student university life. All courses are instructed in English with the exception of Thai language. Classes are comprised of local students, ISA students, as well as other international students.
Trimester + Trimester Programs Available: You can combine the Fall + Winter, Winter + Spring OR Spring + Fall sessions at a discounted price by selecting your two trimesters of interest when submitting your initial ISA online application. For more information about this option, please contact your ISA Bangkok Program Manager.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
There is no language prerequisite for this program.
At the time of application, you should have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the end of your program.
You should have a full-time enrollment status at your home institution and have completed at least two semesters at the time of application to the program.
Please contact the ISA Thailand Program Manager with any admission questions.
A TEAN by WorldStrides Program
ISA's Asia and Pacific programs are operated by our partner division within WorldStrides, TEAN, who has over 25 years of experience in the region.
To apply for this program through TEAN, click the Apply Now button.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Bridging Cultures Orientation
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Host University Units
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
- The courses below reflect the most current list of courses released by the host university. While this list may be used as a general guide while completing your pre-registration form, the host university did not publish the final course list for this program.
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers and scheduling. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancellations.
- Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the ISA Thailand Program Manager.
- Most courses carry 4 MUIC total credits. Per Mahidol University, 4 credits are equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credits or 4.5 U.S. quarter credits. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student’s home university.
- The ISA program fee includes taking 4 courses or up to 16 MUIC total credits. This doesn't include an additional fee charged by Mahidol University for courses that have lab components.
- You can take a 5th course by paying an additional fee while total MUIC credits may not exceed 20.
- Please contact your ISA Thailand Program Manager for more details.
Course Level Recommendations
- ISA offers course level recommendations for the courses listed below. Please note that recommendations are based on Mahidol University (MUIC) course codes.
- The MUIC course coding structure is made up of a sequence of seven characters. Each code starts with four letters, representing the faculty/institute and program that offers the course. The remainder of the code is made up of three numbers. The first number in the sequence indicates the year in which the course is delivered: 0 if the level is lower than a diploma degree, 1 for the first year, 2 for the second year, 3 for the third year and 4 for the fourth year. Faculties or institutes that take longer than four years to complete use 5 and 6.
- ISA recommends that courses starting with the numbers 0, 1 or 2 be classified as lower division, while courses starting with the numbers 3, 4, 5 or 6 be classified as upper division. These ISA recommendations are intended to facilitate the determination of course equivalencies by advisors and credential evaluators at participants' U.S. home institutions.
Thai Language Courses
- Taking Thai language class is not mandatory.
- Students will only be eligible to register for the Elementary Thai course if they are staying at Mahidol for more than one trimester. For students that will only be in Thailand for one trimester and are interested in studying Thai, it is recommended to sign up for the Introduction to Thai Language and Culture course.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
Resident Director, Thailand
Funding Your ISA Program
Wondering how you’ll fund your program? ISA’s got you covered! If you receive financial aid for your home university, you will likely be able to use those funds for study abroad too. The first step is usually speaking with your home university. Check out the steps for using financial aid here.
Need to know how much to budget for a term abroad? Take a look at the additional expenses you might expect, depending on your program.
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. We offer over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, visit the scholarships and grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing provides you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Thai lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor of Thailand. By participating in this program, you'll have the option of either living with other international and visiting students in our off-campus student residence, or securing your own housing. If you choose to secure housing on your own, you'll receive a discount from ISA.
There are differences in culture and lifestyle between life in Thailand and the U.S. The key to a positive experience is flexibility. With this in mind, you can have a fantastic stay in Bangkok.
The student residence Bundit Home is located off-campus, but is only a 10-minute free shuttle bus ride to Mahidol University campus. Free shuttles to campus are offered every 15 minutes from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. You'll be staying in a double room with another ISA or visiting student. Depending on availability, we can also offer the option of securing a single room instead. All rooms are fully furnished and include an air conditioner, desk, wardrobe, fridge and 32-inch TV. Bundit Home also features a rooftop area, internet, cable TV, dining options, a swimming pool, a gym, laundry services, and free weekly cleaning services. Bedding is provided (comforter, sheet, and pillow are all included), and each room has its own bathroom. Although there is no kitchen available at Bundit and students cannot cook in their rooms, there are multiple restaurants and cafeterias within walking distance.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
A Journey Through History - Wat Muang and Ayutthaya
Stand beneath Thailand’s largest statue, “The Great Buddha of Thailand,” at Wat Muang, and explore an elaborate palace from a bygone era in Ayutthaya, the second capital of the Kingdom of Siam.
On this excursion, travel to amazing sites of historical and religious importance. At Wat Muang, view the country’s largest statue, which gives physical presence to the monumental importance of Buddhism in Thailand. Observe traditional Thai Buddhist practice and learn how to make merit yourself at this beautiful temple. Then journey to Ayutthaya, explore ruins of structures built over 600 years ago. Once one of the largest, most cosmopolitan cities of its time, Ayutthaya’s remnants are a UNESCO World Heritage Site displaying the breathtaking architecture of this impressive economic and cultural center. Learn about historical Southeast Asia as you wander through this archaeological testament to human creativity and ingenuity.
Cultural Activities in Bangkok
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Bangkok. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Bangkok special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included Som Tam Cooking workshop, a professional development night, a Muay Thai class, multiple local and temple visits.
Three-day weekend trip – Known for delicious cuisine, a laid back atmosphere, outdoor excursions and myriad Buddhist temples, Chiang Mai is Thailand’s northern cultural hub and a popular getaway from Bangkok. Spend the weekend getting to know the country’s majestic Asian elephants during an ethical elephant experience, visiting some of the region’s most significant, gold covered temples, dining on northern Thai dishes, wandering the sprawling Saturday Walking Street market and simply relaxing with a Thai massage. Warm and welcoming, activity-filled and affordable, you’re going to love Chiang Mai.
The weekend includes your flight to Chiang Mai and overnight train return to Bangkok, accommodation, excursions and most meals.
Three-day trip – A stay in Thailand wouldn’t be complete without visiting the country’s stunning tropical islands, so they’re the perfect place to celebrate the end of an incredible semester! After a speedboat journey exploring the islands of Andaman Sea, famous for its unbelievable turquoise waters and striking karst cliffs, fill the rest of your days relaxing on Railay Beach, kayaking to Phra Nang Beach, lounging by the pool and simply soaking up the island vibes.
The weekend includes your flight to Krabi, accommodation, island excursions, special group meals and more. Get ready for your island getaway!