RMIT University Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Area of Study
Business, Communication, Marketing
Taught In English
Required Prior Study
008953 - Marketing Principles
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4.5
Hours & Credits
This course will equip you with a general understanding of the process of building brand equity through integrated marketing communications. With a prime focus on key components of marketing communications, such as advertising, various supplemental aspects are also considered. These activities are related to theories of communication and buyer behaviour with the aim of developing a practical understanding and contemporary application.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
On successful completion of this course you will be able to:
- Outline the theory of integrated marketing communication as a process of developing brand equity, using applicable models and planning tools.
- Differentiate the various components of the marketing communications mix and evaluate their role in contributing to synergistic marketing activities.
- Formulate and populate key criteria to inform managerial planning from a communications perspective.
- Design ethical and responsible communication strategies appropriate to selected products and scenarios, utilising feedback where possible to action improvement.
- Evaluate media channels to formulate contextually appropriate marketing strategies and communication pathways.
- Demonstrate skills in business communication in written and/or verbal forms, including forming and managing collaborative networks to achieve outcomes.
Overview of Learning Activities
This course is delivered in multiple locations employing different learning modes. As a result, the nature of the learning activities may vary depending on where you are enrolled. These activities may include face-to-face lectures to deliver core underpinning knowledge and engage is discussion around integrated marketing communication. The lecture series will outline the key theoretical and practical approaches to integrated marketing communication, while you will also have an opportunity to develop your skills though the preparation of a an integrated marketing communications plan. Knowledge will also be facilitated by readings from your textbook. You will conclude the semester with an examination that will test your understanding of key concepts. As marketing communication activities are generally conducted in groups, an important activity in this course will be the management of this collaborative process whilst preparing and meeting assignment requirements.
Overview of Learning Resources
Various learning resources are available online through MyRMIT StudiesBlackboard. These may include topic notes and slides, a study schedule, assessment details, links to relevant internet information, readings and communication tools to facilitate collaboration with your peers and sharing of information.
Resources are also available online through RMIT Library databases and other facilities. If you require assistance with the RMIT library facilities contact the Business Liaison Librarian for your school. Contact details for Business Liaison Librarians are located online on the RMIT Library website.
Additional resources and/or sources to assist your learning will be identified by your course coordinator and will be made available to you as required during the teaching period.
Overview of Assessment
The assessment tasks, their weighting and the course learning outcomes to which they are aligned are as follows:
Assessment Task 1: 15%
Linked CLOs: 3, 6
Assessment Task 2: 35%
Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6
Final Examination: 50%
Linked CLOs: 1, 2, 4, 5
Feedback will be provided throughout the semester in class and/or in online forums through individual and group feedback on practical exercises and by individual consultation.