History and Theory of Design 2
RMIT University Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Area of Study
Art, Graphic Design
Taught In English
Pre-requisite Courses and Assumed Knowledge and Capabilities
History and Theory of Design 1
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4.5
Hours & Credits
This course builds on design theory and history knowledge gained in the History and Theory of Design 1. You will deepen and extend your investigation of the history of design from its historical origins and development of new design approaches into the digital age. You will continue to approach the history with a focus on various design movements at various times; how they were influenced by, and embodied, their political, social and economic contexts.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and describe key movements and epochs in the history and theory of design and art.
- Demonstrate broad and coherent knowledge of the place that design and art holds in society.
- In reference to a body of knowledge, identify a personal position.
- Formulate end express critical positions, both written and verbal.
- Critically review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge from the history of design, and adapt this knowledge to diverse social, ethical and cultural contexts.
- Critically review, analyse, consolidate and synthesise knowledge of diverse design theories, concepts and approaches, and adapt this knowledge to local and international contexts.
Overview of Learning Activities
You will be actively engaged in learning that involves a range of activities such as lectures, tutorials, class discussion, individual and group activities.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT University will provide you with a range of resources and tools to engage in this course, including studio and workshop facilities, online systems and professional equipment. A selected range of supplies are available, as well as support from technical staff. You will also have access to a wide range of online resources through RMIT Vietnam University Library.
Overview of Assessment
Assessment is based an evaluation of your understanding of newly acquired knowledge of history and theory of design. Assignments are:
- Research Assignment 35%
- Written Assignment 30%
- Presentation 35%