Visual Vocabulary - Typography, Colour & Composition
RMIT University Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Area of Study
Art, Graphic Design
Taught In English
Host University Units12
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4.5
Hours & Credits
In this course you will explore how theories of colour, typography and formal composition inform design strategies that are key to successful production of design outcomes. You will examine the theories and models relating to colour, typography and formal composition and be encouraged to apply and reflect upon the theories and models so you understand how theory can support effective design. The course will introduce you to the knowledge, skills and strategies that are utilised to produce creative responses to design tasks using this knowledge.
Objectives/Learning Outcomes/Capability Development
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Employ colour in a manner that is informed by knowledge of its constituent components.
- Analyse text with reference to its typographical attributes.
- Be familiar with such content/style separation technologies as HTML/CSS, XHL, paragraph and character styles.
- Employ creative strategies as are suited to the conveyance of a message.
This course will develop your ability to demonstrate the Program Learning Outcome:
Apply advanced visualisation and representation skills (including use of drawing, modelling and colour) to support design practice.
Overview of Learning Activities
You will be engaged in learning that involves a range of activities such as:
- Studio based discussion and development of design ideas with teachers and peers.
- Topic specific seminars; space to introduce, explore and extend key course topics, theories and design projects.
- Group-based learning; group discussion, collaborative projects and peer critique.
- Presentations; the communication of your ideas to peers and teachers.
- Negotiated learning – during the program you will have the opportunity to negotiate project outcomes in consultation with your teachers.
Overview of Learning Resources
RMIT University will provide you with a range of resources and tools to engage in this course, including studio and workshop facilities, online systems and professional equipment. A selected range of supplies are available, as well as support from technical staff. You will also have access to a wide range of online resources through RMIT Vietnam University Library.
Overview of Assessment
Assessment is based on an evaluation of your ability to effectively demonstrate the use of typography, colour and composition in design activities.