The Fashion Design Process
The American Business School Paris
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The poetic imagination of a fashion designer must translate into a coherent collection which responds to
the needs of a particular target at a particular time. The fashion design process is impacted by the
public’s desire for the new. Designers must constantly reinvent the wheel in the fast-paced fashion
climate, capturing the spirit of our times and bringing it to life in a specific language and style. This
serves to build and maintain brand DNA while anticipating and meeting customer demands and desires.
This course will explore the intricacies and challenges of the fashion design process. Its aim is for
students to gain a deeper understanding of the dominant characteristics which determine collection
elements at any fashion market level. This course will examine how fashion designers respond to the
demands of the fashion house and put together a brief which fits the style, values, season, budget, and
constraints of the brand.
EXPECTED LEARNING OUTCOMES:
Upon completion of this course students should be able to:
– Apply trend research and findings to capture the DNA of the target brand
– Describe how planning and design are used to create a cohesive collection
– Distinguish garment categories/descriptions, accessories in the fashion range, and the use of color
palettes, fabrics and textures
– Design to a Brief: identify the customer focus, the muse, and the fashion doyenne and put together
a preliminary cost pricing
– Identify various fashion concepts such as: The Human Body in Proportion, Figure Drawing, and
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.