The European Union
The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Economics, European Studies
Taught In English
EC 1000 Principles of Microeconomics
EC 1101 Principles of Macroeconomics
EC 3270 Managerial Economics
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The political and institutional framework of the European Union. The Union's agricultural, industrial, social, monetary and regional policy. Theory and practice of economic integration.
The course provides a better understanding of the EU. It relates to other courses in Economics through the prerequisites and other additional material. It complements courses related to the EU offered by the School of Business Administration.
As a result of taking this course, the student should be able to:
1. Analyze the trade-creating and trade-diverting effects of a customs union.
2. Demonstrate detailed knowledge of the distributional and efficiency effects of factor mobility.
3. Analyze the impact of market integration on various market structures.
4. Identify the advantages and disadvantages of a common currency.
5. Critically evaluate the microeconomic policies of the EU.
6. Critically evaluate the macroeconomic policies of the EU.
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the learning and teaching strategy of the college, the following tools are used:
- Classes consist of lectures and class discussions of recent articles in economic journals assigned by the instructor.
- Office hours: students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor, where they can ask questions and go over lecture material.
- Use of a blackboard site, where instructors post lecture notes, assignment instructions, timely announcements, as well as additional resources.