Contemporary Mass Communication
The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Taught In English
WP 1010 Introduction to Academic Writing
WP 1111 Integrated Academic Writing and Ethics
WP 1212 Academic Writing and Research
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Overview of the mass media industry. History of the mass media and their impact on society and the individual. Development of communication technology. Role of mass media in shaping public opinion.
This course will enable the student to understand the basic foundation of mass communication by focusing on the accuracy, accessibility and distribution of information. The student will develop an understanding of the evolution and structure of mass media organizations and their relationship to social change.
As a result of taking this course, the student should be able to:
1. Understand the concepts and theories related to mass media.
2. Understand the evolution of mass media.
3. Demonstrate awareness of mass media’s influence on society in shaping perceptions and behaviours.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of professional roles in the mass media fields of advertising, journalism, public relations, and film and television.
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the learning and teaching strategy of the College, the following tools are used:
- Class lectures, interactive learning (class discussions, group work), guest speakers, and video presentations.
- Office hours: students are encouraged to make full use of instructor’s office hours for questions, to see their exams/papers, and/or go over lecture material.
- Use of a Blackboard site where lecture notes, assignment instructions, announcements, and other materials related to the module are posted.
- Peer tutoring is also available to students who choose to get additional help.