The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Intercultural Communications, Journalism
Taught In English
WP 1010 Introduction to Academic Writing
WP 1111 Integrated Academic Writing and Ethics
WP 1212 Academic Writing and Research
CN 2301 - Contemporary Mass Communications
CS 1070 - Introduction to Information Systems
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Critical analysis of the complex processes of news journalism through the examination of how news is collected, processed, communicated and perceived.
The course will provide a broad and synthetic understanding of the history and development of national and international news culture. Emphasis will be on the evidence stemming from the academic research on world news organizations and professionals and the embedded social, cultural and professional factors that shape news information.
As a result of taking this course, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate awareness of the critical approaches to understanding the culture of news journalism in both historical and contemporary contexts, and of the uses and implications of these approaches.
2. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the diverse concepts, competencies, and professional roles related to journalism.
3. Demonstrate understanding of the dynamics of news professional discourses in shaping culture and social attitudes.
4. Analyse and apply critical arguments and positions related to news journalism theory and practice.
5. Carry out original research for essays.
TEACHING AND LEARNING STRATEGY:
In congruence with the teaching and learning strategy of the College, the following tools are used:
- Class lectures, class discussions, class quizzes and video screenings.
- Office Hours: Students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor, where they can ask questions, go over lecture material as well get feedback vis-à-vis the progress of their projects.
- Use of a Blackboard site, where instructors post lecture notes, assignment instructions, announcements, and additional resources.