Experimental Cognitive Psychology
The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Taught In English
PS 3018 Research Methods in Psychology
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units6
Hours & Credits
This course introduces students to experimental methodology, advanced statistical analysis, interpretation and presentation of data, writing of experimental reports. In addition students go through the research process following ethical principles of research. Laboratory sessions complement the lectures.
This course builds upon the knowledge acquired in earlier courses and goes more in depth in designing, running, analyzing, and writing up simple experiments with an emphasis on the core area of cognitive psychology. It provides opportunities to apply research skills in a laboratory setting with the use of computer software. It enhances critical thinking, a necessary skill for all psychology students, especially those who plan to pursue graduate degrees.
As a result of taking this course, a student should be able to:
1. Conduct a literature search on selected scientific questions, formulate appropriate hypotheses, write publishable research reports using the current APA format and apply ethical principles of conducting research
2. Demonstrate an understanding of different experimental and non-experimental designs for purposes of comparison and breadth.
3. Evaluate, reflect and be critical of own and of others research designs in experimental work.
4. Design experiment using the appropriate lab equipment (moved to LO1)
5. Participate in experiments and perform statistical analysis of data obtained by appropriate lab software using the Statistical Package of Social Sciences (SPSS) software.
6. (incorporated in LO 1)
7. (incorporated in LO 1)
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with teaching and learning strategy of the college, the following tools are used:
- Classes consist of lectures and critical discussions of published research.
- Individual designing of experiments using appropriate software, conducting the experiments using human participants, analyzing obtained data and writing of experimental reports. Practical laboratory exercises using SPSS.
Individual tutorial time, supervising all steps of the research paper.
- Office hours
- Use of Blackboard site