Introduction to Healthcare Management
The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Introduction to management concepts and theories for healthcare
organizations. External and internal environments of organizations are
identified, as well as key management functions, roles, and
responsibilities. Essential aspects of healthcare management are
The module explores fundamental concepts of management theory as
applied to health care. By taking this module students develop an
understanding of the issues in healthcare management, such as
strategic planning and marketing, information technology, human
resources and ethical issues in the industry. Students will examine the
organizational structure of the health care delivery system and
administrative processes such as problem solving and decision making.
As a result of taking this module, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the nature, scope and structure of
the healthcare industry, including the organization and governance of
healthcare organizations, whether those are not-for profit, or for-profit.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of healthcare management, including
its key theories, concepts, and techniques and their application to this
3. Discuss ethical issues associated with not-for profit and for-profit
organizations and discuss their implications for the management of
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the teaching and learning strategy of the college, the following tools are used:
- Classes consist of lectures, discussions, collaborative in-class small projects and specialized video presentations. Throughout the lectures students develop knowledge and understanding related to the subject content. Discussions and collaborative inclass small projects reinforce students’ cognitive and key transferable skills. Specialized video presentations familiarize students with professional skills and further develop their cognitive skills.
- Office Hours: Students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor in order to consult and discuss issues related to the course's content.
- Use of blackboard site, where instructors post lecture notes, assignments instructions, timely announcements, as well as additional resources.