The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Taught In English
MK 2050 Principles of Marketing
MK 3159 Consumer Behaviour
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Principles of advertising, including strategy development, media and creative. Development of an advertising plan and execution of creative through the use of advertising and sales promotion.
One of the most visible and mass-influencing communication tools within the promotion mix, advertising is an art and a science. To be used effectively, advertising must be developed within a strategic context and must make knowledgeable use of creative message tactics and media choices. This course covers the activities that deal with the planning, creation, and exposure of an advertising message as well as the management function that controls these diverse efforts. The course provides the knowledge a marketing manager needs to use advertising as a marketing tool or to communicate professionally with an advertising manager. The course also provides the marketing student interested in advertising agency work with the specialized knowledge needed for an entry position.
As a result of taking this course, the student should be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of advertising strategy development, media planning and creative development. (A11)
2. Analyze and evaluate ethical choices within advertising and social/ethical contexts. (B4)
3. Demonstrate an understanding of how complex consumer behavior issues impact advertising strategy. (A8, B5)
4. Apply creative and critical thinking to develop an advertising/media plan and its creative execution. (B5, C2)
5. Build communication skills by presenting and defending an advertising campaign in a professional and convincing manner. (D1, D2)
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the teaching and learning strategy of the college, the following tools are used:
- Class lectures, interactive learning (class discussions, group work) and practical problems solved in class.
- Project: Based on the instructor’s brief students develop an original advertising plan, including strategy, media and creative. In class presentations of the group project.
- Practical creative exercises and class activities.
- Sample presentations of professional advertising projects.
- Case and problem discussions in class that stress advertising strategy, and various assignments to practice the development of copy and graphic elements.
- Special lecture to improve presentation skills.
- Office Hours: Students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor, where they can ask questions on lectures and project concerns, and see their exam papers.
- Use of Blackboard learning platform, where instructors post lecture notes, assignment instructions, timely announcements, as well as additional resources.