The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Hospitality and Tourism Management
Taught In English
HT 1001 Introduction to the Tourism and Hospitality Industry
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The functions, organization and management of various departments and services within the hospitality sector.
This course aims at developing students’ understanding of the structure, functions and processes of hospitality organizations and the role of the Hotel Manager. It equips students with knowledge on the nature and context of service operations including design, processes, and controls as they apply in the hospitality context. It connects the output of the operational departments with the various management functions of hospitality organizations.
As a result of taking this course the student should be able to:
1. Examine the external environmental influences and industry stakeholders that affect the structure and management in the hospitality sector.
2. Analyse the roles and functions of different departments in hospitality organizations and explain the management tools for effective design, implementation and control of hospitality operations.
3. Critically discuss the managerial issues and challenges involved in hospitality operations.
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the teaching and learning strategy of the college, the following tools are used:
- Class lectures, interactive learning (class discussions, group work) and practical problems solved in class.
- Individual term paper: An analysis of a contemporary topic in hospitality operations management, requiring extensive use of literature and theory resources.
- Site visit to at least one hotel unit, during which students receive a guided tour of all departments.
- Analysis and discussion of short hospitality operations cases.
- Office Hours: Students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor, where they can ask questions and go over lecture material
- Use of a Blackboard learning platform, where instructors post lecture notes, assignment instruction, timely announcements, as well as additional resources.