The American College of Greece
Area of Study
Taught In English
MG 2003 Management Principles or MG 3034 Managing People and Organizations
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Study of the development of the labor movement and the structure of organized groups. Analysis of labor union and employer association activities including: contract negotiations, contract administration, and dispute resolution through mediation and arbitration. Labor-management relations in non-unionized settings.
The main purpose of this course is to examine the labor-management relationship in unionized and non-unionized settings in the U.S.A. and in Greece. Whether a student works in a business organization, either as a manager or as a non-manager in a unionized or non-unionized setting, s/he will be impacted by the labormanagement environment in the organization.
As a result of taking this course, the student should be able to:
1. Analyze the development of the labor movement, the structure of unions, employers’ associations and the environment of labor relations. (analysis)
2. Analyze and integrate issues related to collective bargaining, including: contract negotiations, the issues of a collective agreement, contract administration, grievance procedure, dispute resolution, and labor relations in non-union firms. (analysis and synthesis)
3. Synthesize and apply knowledge in labor relations to contemporary organizations. (synthesis and application)
METHOD OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
In congruence with the teaching and learning strategy of the College, the following tools are used:
• Classes consist of lectures, case studies, experiential exercises, and in-class discussion of related material.
• Office Hours: Students are encouraged to make full use of the office hours of their instructor in order to consult and discuss issues related to the course content.
• Use of the Blackboard learning platform: in order to enhance the teaching and learning process, instructors may use the site to post their announcements, upload related course material, lecture notes, assignment instructions and additional resources.