Mechanical Engineering System Simulation
Dublin City University
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units5
Hours & Credits
Analysis and modelling of two degree-of-freedom vibrating systems. Matrix representations of multi-dof systems. Free and Forced response calculation. Vibration of continuous systems - calculation of modal frequencies and shapes dependent on boundary conditions and wave equation. Introduction to computer based simulation of mechanical engineering systems and use of commercial & development packages for simulation. Determination of modelling parameters from design and material information. Simulation of mechanical systems and components including machine elements and electromechanics. State-variable modelling and techniques for validation of models
1. Analyse 2 DoF vibrating systems for modal frequencies and shapes and response to harmonic excitation
2. Determine the wave equation for 2nd & 4th order systems and apply boundary conditions to define mode shapes
3. Develop modelling strategies for multiple DoF simulation
4. Formulate a State variable model of mechanical systems
5. Build dynamic models in Simulink and apply parameters through MATLAB. Analyse and present output results.