Dublin City University
Area of Study
Economics, Finance, Financial Management
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits2
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
To purpose of this module is to develop students knowledge of the tools and techniques of managing financial and other forms of risk in the modern business environment - to include sovereign institutions as well as financial and non-financial corporations. In this module students will develop their knowledge of the risk management function as well as the principal risk management instruments and strategies. Students will develop the skills to value such instruments and strategies. This module is delivered through a combination of weekly lectures and on-line learning tools, including moodle quizes. Students are expected to attend lectures and to engage in on-line learning and research activities on a regular basis. In addition students will undertake problem sets and read recommended expert articles.
1. Describe forms of financial risk facing governments, financial and non-financial corporations, and recommend risk management strategies and solutions to counter these risks.
2. Evaluate arguments for and against hedging foreign exchange rate risk.
3. Evaluate interest rate risk management metrics and interest rate risk management securities and strategies, including interest rate derivatives
4. Critique methodologies for the management of other types of risk such as value at risk, Creditmetricsâ„¢, and to evaluate recent innovations in product development for risk management.
5. Explain the risk management issues that arise out of the relationship between individual economic agents, corporates and government within the global economy, and suggest appropriate policy responses.