Developmental Psychology 1
University of Galway
Area of Study
Taught In English
Admission to some psychology courses will depend on the academic background of the student in the relevant subject area.
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits0
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units0
Hours & Credits
The history of developmental psychology is reviewed and the main theoretical perspectives and special methodologies employed in the area are examined. The content also includes the psychology of infant development, with particular reference to cognitive development; social and emotional development; moral development and gender development.
* To highlight the importance of a life-span perspective on development
* To encourage awareness of change and growth as ongoing processes
* To acquire familiarity with the ecology of development
* To understand and explain the interaction of biological and environmental influences on development
* To understand factors that contribute to developmental change
* To appreciate and appraise competing perspectives on cognitive and psychosocial development
* Shaffer, D. & Kipp, K. (2007). Developmental Psychology, Childhood and Adolescence. Wadsworth.
Additional, topic-related reading lists are provided during the course.
One two-hour examination at the end of Semester 2.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits are converted to semester credits/quarter units differently among U.S. universities. Students should confirm the conversion scale used at their home university when determining credit transfer.
Please reference fall and spring course lists as not all courses are taught during both semesters.
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.