The Art of Photography
The American University of Rome
Area of Study
Photography, Studio Art
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
This course examines the main tendencies in modern art, from the late nineteenth to the late twentieth century. Students will learn about particular movements and their major protagonists, including Impressionism, Post/Neo Impressionism, Fauvism, Expressionism, Cubism, Futurism, Dada, Surrealism, Suprematism, De Stijl, Constructivism, Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art, Minimalism, and Conceptualism.
Please note that this is a reading‐intensive course. This course may involve on‐site classes and Friday/weekend fieldtrips in Rome and Italy.
Required Textbook (subject to change)
- Newhall, Beaumont. The History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present, The Museum of
- Modern Art, New York 1982.
Required Readings (subject to change)
- Berger, John. Ways of Seeing. Penguin, London 1990 .
- Scharf, Aaron. Art and Photography, Pelican, London 1974 .
Recommended Readings (subject to change)
- Barthes, Roland. Camera Lucida. Hill and Wang, New York 2010 .
- Cotton, Charlotte. The Photograph as Contemporary Art. Thames & Hudson, London 2009.
- Hirsch, Robert. Seizing the light: A Social & Aesthetic History of Photography (3rd edition), Routledge, New York 2017
- Pritchard, Dr. Michael. A History of Photography in 50 cameras, Firefly, New York 202
- Schwarz, Heinrich. Art and Photography: Forerunners and Influences, Rochester,
- New York 1985.
- Sontag, Susan. On Photography. Picador, New York 2001 .
- Sontag, Susan. Regarding the Pain of Others. Picador, New York 2003.
Students must pay their own entrance fees when required
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations