New Trends in Gastronomy and Cooking
Universidad de Barcelona
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits6
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
As far as the Tourism Business is concerned, gastronomy has become an asset and a reference over the last few years. At present, Spain has ascended towards a landmark of global trends, predominantly thanks to the awareness and leadership of its chefs. At the same time the food service sector has been targeting the optimization of its processes and the intensification of customer loyalty.
The program intends to train the participant to be able to permanently adapt to market demands through new methods of catering and originality, quality, and rapid adaptation of culinary delights.
Training the participants in new methods of catering, making them aware of present culinary trends and giving an approximation to the Spanish catering and cuisine.
1. GASTRONOMY - THE GLOBAL TOURISM AMBASSADOR
- Introduction: the catering sector in Spain, segments of the market structure and structure of the catering market.
- Traditional Spanish cuisine; traditional dishes for each autonomous community
- History of European cuisine: from the first restaurant to nouvelle cuisine; haute cuisine in Spain; celebrity cooks and trends
2. TECHNICAL APPLICATIONS AND INNOVATIVE COOKING TECHNOLOGIES
- The evolution of consumer tastes
- Application of new technologies
- Cold kitchen
- Raw food: The influence of eastern cuisine
- New ways and styles of cooking
- Edible reduction
- Edible texture
- Sauces bound by gelling and thickening elements
3. AVANT-GARDE PASTRY WORKSHOP
- Classical elaborations and new trends in contemporary pastry
- Developments in consumer tastes
- Raw materials and basic products
- New pastry ingredients: vegetables, herbs, spices, flowers
- Principal elaborations
- Structure and decoration of pastries
continued evaluation: 40%
final exam: 20%
project presentation: 40%
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.