Motion Graphics and Visual Communication
Universidad de Vic - Elisava
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
In the last years moving images have become the new graphics in the digital world. The net is full of Graphics animating fonts, illustrations and pictures that move creating the sensation of dynamism. The main goal of this subject is to introduce students to he motion graphics field and also learn visual communication as the tool to facilitate the communication of the ideas.
The content will focus on Storytelling, Digital Illustration, Digital filmmaking and the Digital tools that help to build it all.
– Digital Illustration
– Digital filmmaking
– Digital tolos
At the end of the class, students will be able to:
– Understand the process of illustration in motion design and animation.
– Find suitable styles regarding the story to tell.
– Use basic Technical motion design and animation tools.
– Create and visualize narratives.
Students will develop the following projects:
– Narrative for a story
– Art direction: the style for a script
– Stop Motion/Rotosoopy
– Drawing with model and sketching
– Filming and mounting
This course will combine classroom lectures, discussions and interactive hands-on learning.
20% commitment and participation in class discussion
30% design process
50% design outcomes
Students will have to complete all the parts included in the grade weights and earn at least a 5/10 in each part.
– BLAZER, Liz: Animated Storytelling: Simple Steps For Creating Animation and Motion Graphics: Peachpit Press, 2015.
– SHAW, Austin: Design for motion: 2014.
Video Animation Bible
– WILLIAMS, Richard: The Animator’s Survival Kit: Faber and Faber, 2009.
Motion and Video – Theory
– BRARDA, María Cecilia: Motion Graphics Design: Gustavo Gili, 2016.
– LUPTON, Ellen: El diseño como storytelling, Gustavo Gili, 2019
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.