Spanish Contemporary Art
Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona
Area of Study
Art History, European Studies, Studio Art
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The course provides an introduction to Spanish contemporary art, it examines the concepts behind the work and the evolution of Spanish art in relation to similar movements in Europe and the United States The course is complimented by visits to relevant exhibitions in Barcelona and talks by professional artists.
- Fluent in English
Art in the 70’s Ephemeral Art reinvidication, When attitudes became art, Harald Szeemann, Suisse 1968
- Pop art, Minimalism.
- Conceptual Art, Body Art, Land Art, Art Povera, Feminist Art
Introduction to Spanish Artists
- Spanish Artists Miro, Picasso, Juan Gris, Dali
- Chillida, Orteiza, Tapies, Saura, Brossa,
- Guinovart, Canogar, Millares……
Spanish Conceptual Art
- Antoni Llena, Grup de treball, Antoni Muntades,
- Francesc Abad, Fina Miralles, Francesc Torres, Àngels Ribé…
Art in the 1980’s
- The role of the big exhibition in the international art situation;
- Documenta de Kassel 1982- Barcelo, Basquait, Miriam Cahn, Tony Cragg, Rebecca Horn….
New Painting Movements, German Neo Expressionism, Italian Transvanguarda…
- Spanish painters: Miguel Barceló, Garcia Sevilla, Victor Mira, José Maria Sicilia, Broto…Juan Usle
- Spanish sculptors: Christina Iglesias, Susan Solano, Juan Munoz, Jaume Plensa, Perejaume….
Art in the ‘90s Neo conceptual art
- Performance Art
- Installation Art
- Video Art
- Photography Art
- Spanish Art Situation
The new strategies in Art
- Spanish post living art Marcel-li Antúnez, Eulalia Valldosera….
Assignments and presentations are set throughout the course.
- Visit to Exhibitions are often at reduced entry prices for groups and student are expected to pay the corresponding entry fee.