The Creative Economy
Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The purpose of the course is to make the students aware of the crucial role of creativity and innovation in 21st century and provide them with tools to be effective actors of change in their organizations in the future.
The course has the following main learning objectives:
- Understand the importance of creativity and innovation for the companies in the 21st century.
- Be aware of the impact of national cultures on creativity and innovation.
- Hear experiences from creative people to learn from them.
- Encourage the students to think ?out of the box?.
- Provide the students with tools to improve their creativity.
- Know the big trends for the future and where to find information about.
- Gain knowledge on the online tools available to help them in the innovation process.
All classes are taught in English, so one fundamental requirement is the control of the English Language.
1. Innovation in the 21st century: from the Knowledge Economy to the ?Creative Economy?
2. Innovation: a strategic process
3. Managing Innovation in the organizations.
4. Innovation and Culture: some cultures are more innovative than others.
a. Cultural traits encouraging creativity and innovation
b. The top 20 innovative companies in the world
c. The most creative cities in the world
5. Design and Culture
a. The impact of national cultures on the consumer preferences in Design
6. Innovation and Personality: some people more creative than others.
a. Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument HBDI
b. Psychological profile of creative people
c. Motivations for creativity
d. Hearing from well-known creative people
i. Initial motivation?
ii. What were their personalities like?
iii. Influence from childhood?
iv. Were they influenced by their parents?
v. Were the creative people loners?
vi. Did they start being creative early in life or at a later stage?
vii. Can you learn to be creative?
7. Are you creative?
a. Creativity Test
8. Improving your creativity
a. Lateral Thinking
9. Creative teams
a. The concept of ?Collective Intelligence?
b. Six Sigma
c. Design Thinking
e. De Bono Thinking Hats
10.Big trends for the future
a. Cool Hunting
b. Trend Watching
a. John Howkins
b. Tim Brown
c. David Kelley
d. Daniel Goleman
12.Online innovation tools
a. Opportunity Identification
13.Creativity in Catalonia
a. BCD Barcelona Centre de Disseny (Barcelona Design Center)
b. Barcelona Design Week
14.Guest speakers (designer, Design Manager at HP, an artist)