New Tendencies in Spanish Contemporary Art
Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona
Area of Study
Art, Art History
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
In Contemporary art the frontiers between the classic disciplines are dissolving. Contemporary art is becoming ever more interdisciplinary, at times confusing, unclassifiable where all kinds of fusions, exchanges, frictions, transaction and dialogues are occurring. There are new points of interaction, new crossings of information and action. This course is an introduction to some of these new territories and how they are being explored by Spanish Contemporary Artists.
Current creative practise contemporary arts engagement with mainstream culture and its origins.
- Appropiationism, kitch, technology, green politics, social issues, fashion/beauty, etc
- Josep Beuys, Stelarc, Woldiczco, The Black School, Fluxus movement, Lorraine O?Grady, Richard Prince, Jeff Koons, Orlan ....
The changing role of the gallery, museum and collector in contemporary art
Art Value, Celebrity, Kitch
- Damien Hirst, Jeff Koons, Warhol/Basquiat, Francesco Vezzoli ...
Fashion, Clothing, Self protection, Survival
- Ana Laura Aláez, Elana del Rivero, Begoña Montalbán, Kosuke Tsumura, Lucy and Jorge Orta, Alicia Framis, Susy Gomez Nicola Constantino, Naia del Castillo etc
Living Art, New Technologies and Tendencies.
- Eduardo Kac, Etoy, Marcel·li Antunez, Eualia Valldosera, Laura Baigorri Ballarin, Jean Recamier, Serge Jupin, ...
Land Art, Ecology, Nature and Technology
- Spanish Sculpture Trails, Arte en la Tierra, Parque de Escultura Lomos de Oro, Naturaleza, Utopias y Realidades Canaria, Green Museum, Sergio Belinchon, Alan Sonfist, Nils Udo, Hilde de Decker, Actar Architectura, Nicola Constantino
Recycling, Re(f)use, Neo do it yourself.
- La Braderie, Drap Art, Steven Forster, Neasdon Control Centre, Maja Abplanalp and Maria Pia Amabile ...
Experimental Music, Performance, Poetry.
- Laurie Anderson, LEM festival, Victor Nubla, Inmotion, Sonar, Polipoetas, Veivi Gisus Urkestra....
Art engaged with social politics, architecture and communal space
- Santiago Sierra, Lucy Orta, KZG, El Perro, Anna Pla Catala, Street art,....
Ephemeral, Action , Space and Subject, Performance
- Sergio Prego, Vik Muniz ...
The course also includes talks by practising artists, visits to relevant exhibitions and visits to practising artists studios