Strategic Brand Management
Universidad Pompeu Fabra
Area of Study
International Marketing, Marketing
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
What comes to your mind when I say ‘Barcelona’? Experts say that brands reside in people’s mind, and we behave according to the "perception" we have of any brand.
The brand concept, born with the Industrial Revolution, acquires a new dimension with the digital tsunami in the 21st century, and what does it mean in the relationship of brands with customers around the world. From marketing as a commercial management to activist branding, where brands are agents of the change that customers demand, strategic brand management is an exciting challenge for new professionals.
With this course we will go on an inspiring journey to know the management strategies of the brand, the key ideas for building a brand story, its relationship with audiences, markets and competition, and how to identify its position in the global arena.
Strategic Brand Management will provide the students with a deep knowledge of the strategic role of branding, enabling them to master the key principles of building enduring brands in competitive markets and create market value. The course combines the key elements and latest research in brand management with real-world cases of brand successes, but also missteps.
Topics covered include:
- The principles of brand management. Where do we come from and what are the new challenges ahead? Essential tools to build successful brand strategies.
- Designing effective Brand Strategies. Answer to what, how and why of a brand. From research, purpose and values to the action plan for the better brand management.
- Renewed focus on Branding and marketing in the digital era.
At the end of the course, students are expected to have developed a managerial perspective regarding Strategic Brand Management in a global framework.
Establish the strategies and positioning for products at an international level
WHAT IS A BRAND
- Where do we come from? From the industrial revolution to the current digital tsunami, “perception” remains the key to strategic brand management. That’s why it is crucial to any organization success: a brand represents the DNA of your organization, product or service, and its function is to unify the value proposition, establish meaningful relationships with your audiences and foster its relevance and preference in the global market.
- From who, what, how, why, where and how. Decoding your organization to investigate its audiences and competitors, identify its mission and values, differentiate its purpose, communicate and plan the actions for the best positioning of your brand.
BRANDING IS IN THE AIR
- Are you a brand? Do you need to differentiate yourself from others when you are looking for job? How can you do it. What is your DNA? And the city where you live, is it a brand? Is city branding important when deciding your holidays or your new work destination? Similarities and differences among product, corporate branding and personal and city branding.
MANAGING A BRAND: the future of branding
- What is the objective of branding at the 21st century? Learning about the shift from shareholders to stakeholders and the new trends in the near future. The purpose of your brand acquires a new role related to your benefit. Doing well by doing good and activism branding are the new tools for a better world.
Cases and readings: TBD
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.