Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
Area of Study
Business Administration, Business Management, Economics, Marketing
Taught In English
STUDENTS ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE COMPLETED
Statistics I and II
Essentials of Business
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
COMPETENCES AND SKILLS THAT WILL BE ACQUIRED AND LEARNING RESULTS. The aim of this subject is to teach the students the basic foundations of marketing, which will equip them to deal with the posing and resolution of the principal problems concerned with the design, implementation and control of
marketing strategy, both for aggregate and non-aggregate forms by decision variables.
DESCRIPTION OF CONTENTS: PROGRAMME
Topic 1. Marketing and the commercial function. Strategic and tactical marketing. The need of information for marketing decision making
Topic 2. Analysis of the environment and the competitors
PART A: MARKETING RESERCH PRINCIPLES
Topic 3. Introduction to market research
Topic 4. Qualitative research. Observational methods. Experiments.
Topic 5. Quantitative research. Surveys design
Topic 6. Questionnaire design and measurement scales.
PART B: CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR AND DEMAND ANALYSIS
Topic 7. Analyzing consumer behaviour and needs
Topic 8. Consumer response measure: cognitive, affective and behavioural levels.
Topic 9. Aggregated demand function: static perspective and dynamic (Bass model).
Topic 10. Customer heterogeneity. Segmentation techniques in the reference market. Individualized demand analysis: Customer panels and Customer Relationship Management
LEARNING ACTIVITIES AND METHODOLOGY
The students will have all the reference materials and bibliographic references available in advance.
Every week a group with maximum of 40 students will receive one hour of theory-lectures and one hour of practiceoriented class work. A moderate number of theory classes imply that the student is required to study independently the reference materials in advance. During lectures the work of the students will be reviewed, and the main doubts will be discussed and answered. The student progress will be measured by written exams, exercises, cases and projects.
The final exam accounts for 60% of the total grade, and the remainder 40% from class exercises, cases, and projects during the course. In order to pass the subject, it is compulsory to pass the final exam; otherwise the assignments graded during the course will not be computed.
% end-of-term-examination: 60
% of continuous assessment (assigments, laboratory, practicals?): 40
- Jean-Jacques Lambin, Ruben Chumpitaz and Isabelle Schuiling Market-Driven Management, Macmillan.
- William R. Dillon, Thomas J. Madden Marketing research in a marketing environment, Irwin.
- Philip Kotler, Keller Kevin Lane Marketing management, Pearson, Prentice House.
Please note that there are no beginning level Spanish courses offered in this program.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits are converted to semester credits/quarter units differently among U.S. universities. Students should confirm the conversion scale used at their home university when determining credit transfer.
Please reference fall and spring course lists as not all courses are taught during both semesters.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.