Ordinary Differential Equations (Guaranteed - Spring)
Universitat Politècnica de València
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Differential equations provide realistic models of a great variety of systems in essentially all engineering and scientific disciplines. This course is an introduction to the techniques for solving such equations. During the course students learn how the mathematical properties of these equations and their solutions lead to deeper understanding of the corresponding systems and to more insightful modeling of those systems.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will:
1. Understand the basic concepts in differential equations such as: existence and uniqueness of solutions, non-linearity, continuous dependence of solutions on the initial conditions and the parameters of the equation, long -term behavior, and stability.
2. Master the mathematical techniques required to solve ordinary differential equations.
3. Pose physical problems and write them in the form of mathematical equations.
4. Determine which methods are suitable for solving equations arising from various applications, and then use those methods to solve the equations.
5. Evaluate and interpret the mathematical results obtained in the context of the physic
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.