Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
The aims of the course are
(1) to thoroughly familiarize the students with the basic concepts of epistemology
(2) as well as with a number of classical theories in epistemology
(3) to enable students to provide conceptual analyses of epistemic concepts
(4) to enable the students to understand a number of key papers in epistemology
This course deals with the basics of contemporary epistemology. The following themas and topics will be covered:
(1) how to give a conceptual analysis
(2) the tripartite analysis of knowing
(3) Gettier problems for the tripartite analysis
(4) theories of justification
(5) sources of knowledge
(6) epistemic circularity
The format of the course is: lectures and discussion.
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT
* a number of smaller writing assignments
* a final paper
* a written open question examination.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.