Philosophy of Science
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
- acquire knowledge of and insight into the most important schools and problems in contemporary philosophy of science (at an introductory
- applying this knowledge and insights to current questions and discussions regarding the nature of science and its role in today's society.
- develop one's own substantiated judgment with regard to philosophical questions concerning science, and are able to communicate this judgment verbally and in writing.
This course will address key-subjects in philosophy of science:
- Classical philosophy of science (logical positivism and Popper);
- Historical and sociological research in science;
- Realism and the nature of scientific explanation;
- Philosophy of Social Science and the Humanities;
- Science and values;
- Feminist's perspectives on science.
Lectures, assignments, debates
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT
Written exam (70%), written assignment (30%)
RECOMMENDED BACKGROUND KNOWLEDGE
Recommended is a general familiarity with systematic or historical problems from philosophy.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.