Health Care Management
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Area of Study
Business, Health Administration
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units3
Hours & Credits
This course introduces organizational theories that are relevant to health care organizations. Students will practice in applying these theories to real-life problems in health organizations. Both approaches contribute to enabling students to:
- gain understanding of different management practices (Knowledge; Bridging theory and practice);
- analyse the influence of management practices on motivation of individuals (Research skills);
- understand and solve situations of conflict within health care organizations (Academic skills; Knowledge; Bridging theory and practice);
- develop strategies for health organizations (Research skills; Bridging theory and practice);
- have theoretical and practical insight into leadership and leadership styles (Knowledge; Bridging theory and practice);
- communicate effectively (Social skills);
- manage and coordinate teams of health care professionals (Knowledge; Social skills).
Health organizations are fast changing entities, partly driven by new technological developments and by social complexity. This course helps students how to effectively contribute to the performance in health care institutions. This requires a good understanding of the macro-elements of organizational behavior, such as management abilities and strategic orientation. The following subjects will be addressed: motivation, management of professionals, leadership and leadership styles, and communication. In this course, relevant management theories will be discussed and applied to the health care sector. Students will practice in work groups on the assignment to prepare a policy paper.
TYPE OF ASSESSMENT
Written exam – Individual assessment.
Assignment – Performance as project manager.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Some courses may require additional fees.