Advanced Portuguese Language: Oral and Written Comprehension and Expression
Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina
Area of Study
Modern Languages, Portuguese
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units5
Hours & Credits
GENERAL COURSE DESCRIPTION
The course aims at developing the following competences and skills, planned for the advanced level of
proficiency, according to American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages:
- Global tasks and functions: narrate and describe in major time frames and deal effectively with an unanticipated complication.
- Context: most informal and some formal settings.
- Content: topics of personal and general interest.
- Accuracy: understood without difficulty by speakers unaccustomed to dealing with non-native speakers.
- Text type: paragraphs.
It is designed to cover three independent yet interrelated language modules:
- Comparative grammar studies, including the intermediate morphological and syntactic aspects, all related to listening, reading and sentence framing, and their oral and written practice in Portuguese Language advanced level.
- Vocabulary studies, for world scene and for selected texts (reading, listening, speaking, writing) in Portuguese Language advanced level including access to the media.
- Brazilian Culture, by developing the four skills of the language in text interpretation expressed either orally or in written form on literary texts, as well as cultural approaches to different aspects on the present Brazilian reality, related to the oral and written practice in the Portuguese Language.
To guarantee the linguistic competence and performance through the practice of conversation and composition in the context of the Brazilian culture at the advanced level.
REQUIRED READINGS and/or TEXT(S).
Articles, textbooks and different textbooks chapters are related to present facts.
The approval is based on the integrated performance foreseen in:
- Listening and conversation on programmed situations;
- Reading and writing on programmed situations;
- Text exposition and text interpretation and debates on programmed situations;
- Guided studies on programmed situations;
- Portfolio organization according to the professor evaluation;
- Written evaluation.
- 75% of class attendance is required. In case of an injury or sickness the absence of the student will not count if he presents a medical certificate. In this context, the classroom assignments will be sent via e-mail to him/her. When the student returns to class, the professor is instructed to pay extra attention to him/her in the process of catching up with the class.
- Possibility of dropping or adding classes: Please note that courses are determined prior to the student's arrival on-site.