Culture, Portuguese Language & International Business
Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina
Located at Ilha Centro and Ilha Centro Dib Mussi campuses on the island, students enrolled at the Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina’s (UNISUL) will take the majority of their courses in the colorful and bustling downtown zone of Florianópolis. ISA students at the UNISUL will take courses through the university’s international program’s office, which offers courses in Portuguese language, culture, and business. Students who possess an advanced Portuguese proficiency level are eligible to enroll in courses with local Brazilians offered at sub-campuses in the greater Florianópolis area, including Pedra Branca. The university is recognized by The Ministry of Education, Brazil (Ministério da Educação, Brazil) and offers one of the largest distance education programs in all of Latin America.
Summer 1 2021
Late Jun, 2021 - Early Aug, 2021
Apr 25, 2021
Forms and Payment Deadline
May 10, 2021
108 - 126 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Study Abroad Program Description
Created for the student who is looking for a short-term program in paradise, you have the opportunity to enroll in two courses instructed in English or one in English/one in Portuguese within a five week time frame. This program is open to all language levels and allows you to enroll in courses specific to Brazilian culture and international business. If you are interested in primarily focusing on Portuguese language, you should consider the summer Intensive Portuguese program. All courses are taught at the Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina by local university professors. You will take classes alongside other ISA students.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
108 - 126
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
7 - 8
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
10 - 12
- You must enroll in 108-126 contact hours during your five-week summer program. This program is open to students at the beginning, intermediate and advanced Portuguese proficiency level. You may enroll in a Portuguese language course in addition to a culture or business related course in English.
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-aproval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancelations.
- Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Brazil Program Manager.
- Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students’ home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
- Per the Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina, the "contact hour" is a full 60 minutes. The hours listed have been adjusted to reflect the equivalent of the standard U.S. 50-minute contact hour. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the your home university.
- Enrollment in Portuguese courses is determined by the results of a language placement exam administered by the Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you've already completed at your home university. We strongly suggest that students who are trying to place into any level of language beyond true beginning prepare for the language placement exam by reviewing previous coursework.
- It is recommended that students who have not completed one semester/quarter of college-level Portuguese or the equivalent elect to take a language course through this program.
- The transcript from the Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina will reflect contact hours for each course listed below. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
- ISA does not recommend that students sign up for online courses through their home university. If enrolling in an online course is necessary for you to meet your degree requirements, you may only enroll in one online class. It is your responsibility to confirm with your home university that you will receive credit for online courses taken through your host university.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
Rodrigo Ferrari Franzoni
Resident Director, Brazil
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, you may visit the Scholarships and Grants page. Please note that some programs, including remote learning opportunities, are not eligible for scholarships.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Brazilian lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Brazil. With an open-mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
We strive to match your housing preferences with our available accommodations; however, housing preference requests cannot be guaranteed.
Host families are best if you are seeking full linguistic and cultural immersion during your time abroad. Each host family has been carefully selected by ISA's resident staff in order to best accommodate your needs and to ensure a comfortable living situation. Homestays will provide breakfast and dinner seven days a week and laundry service once a week. You will typically share a room with another ISA student of the same gender. Single rooms may be available for an additional fee.
Apartments are a great housing option if you are seeking complete independence during your time abroad. Apartments are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, and availability is limited. The apartments are located in a trendy and desirable part of town, in the Lagoa da Conceição neighborhood. Apartments typically house two ISA students, with shared room occupancy. The standard double occupancy apartments have two bedrooms, two bathrooms, lounge/living room and kitchen; single occupancy apartments have one bedroom, one bathroom, lounge/living room and kitchen. Both apartment options are available for an extra fee it is also important to note that meals and laundry services are not included. You will be expected to commute 45 minutes to an hour to and from classes.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Santa Catarina Island Tour
Starting in downtown Florianópolis, you have the chance to see the blend of history and modernity that characterizes the city. From there, travel to scenic lookouts, beaches, and historical points throughout the island. Finally, stop for lunch on a beach and enjoy some of the freshly caught seafood that is the specialty of Florianópolis.
The town, with its steep hills dropping down to the sea, is famous for the cable car which, uniquely in the world, links the two beaches of Balneário Camboriú and Laranjeiras. You will take a boat tour around the coastlines of the two beaches, then relax, swim, and dine on the Laranjeiras beach. You will end the day riding the cable car up to the Unipraias park to enjoy the breathtaking views.
Blumenau & Itajaí River Valley
Explore the nearby town of Blumenau, nicknamed the European Valley, founded by German immigrants whose heritage has left a lasting impression on the town today. You will feel as if you have been transported to Germany as you stroll along the scenic streets and enjoy traditional German cuisine.
Serra do Tabuleiro State Park * Optional
With stunning scenery and the coldest temperatures in Brazil, this multi-day excursion provides a dramatic contrast to the beaches of Florianópolis. This region is the birthplace of rural tourism in Brazil. The cowboy-style gaucho culture is alive in this region, and activities include horseback riding, hiking, white water rafting, and bathing in hot springs.
Cultural Activities in Florianópolis
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Florianópolis. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Florianópolis special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included samba and surfing classes, a soccer match, a visit to a marine turtle project and a visit to Costa da Lagoa by boat.