Spanish Language & Chilean Culture
Valparaíso & Viña del Mar
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso
Located on the outer edge of the eclectic city of Valparaíso, blocks away from the local port, the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV) is a traditional catholic university that offers everything a student needs for complete Spanish immersion. ISA students at the PUCV will take courses through the International Program’s Office (PIIE), which offers courses in Spanish language and culture. Students who possess an advanced Spanish proficiency level are eligible to enroll in courses with local Chileans in a variety of subjects. The vast majority of courses are taught within one main building, known as the Casa Central, while a select number of courses may be taught in campuses outside of Valparaíso. The PUCV is accredited by the Chilean National Commission of Accreditation (CNAP) and recognized by the Chilean Ministry of Education (Mineduc) and Superior Education Council (Consejo Superior de Educación).
Early Jan, 2021 - Mid Jan, 2021
Nov 15, 2020
70 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Are you interested in taking a Spanish course during your winter break? This intensive language program is open to intermediate and advanced Spanish language speakers, and provides you the opportunity to obtain accelerated training in Spanish. You will enroll in a 70 contact hour Spanish course within a three week time-frame, your course is dependent on your proficiency level. All courses are taught at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso by local university professors. You will take classes alongside other ISA students.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
Students must have completed or tested out of a minimum of two semesters (three quarters) of college-level Spanish
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
- Students must enroll in 70 contact hours during their three week program. This program is open to students at the intermediate and advanced Spanish proficiency level. Students enroll in the following course based on their language level:
- Communicative Grammar, Conversation and Chilean Culture
- Communicative Grammar, Conversation and Chilean Culture
- Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Chile Program Manager.
- Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students’ home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
- Per the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, 45 contact hours is equivalent to 3 U.S. semester credits / 4 quarter units. Credit transfer is ultimately determined by the student's home university.
Language Placement and Recommendation
- Enrollment in Spanish courses is determined by the results of a language placement exam administered by the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso. Please note that your performance on the placement exam may not reflect the number of semesters of language instruction you've already completed at your home university.
- Please note that there are no beginning level Spanish courses offered in this program.
- The transcript from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso will reflect contact hours for each course listed below. Please be in touch with your home university regarding credit transfer for this program.
- ISA does not recommend that students sign up for online courses through their host university. If enrolling in an online course is necessary for you to meet your degree requirements, you may only enroll in one online class. It is your responsibility to confirm with your home university that you will receive credit for online courses taken through your host university.
select allclear all
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
Living in ISA housing will give you the opportunity to experience aspects of the Chilean lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor to Chile. With an open-mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture can be highly rewarding.
We strive to match your housing preferences with our available accommodations; however, housing preference requests cannot be guaranteed.
Host families are best if you are seeking full linguistic and cultural immersion during your time abroad. Each host family has been carefully selected by ISA's resident staff in order to best accommodate your needs and to ensure a comfortable living situation. Homestays will provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner seven days a week and laundry service once a week. You will typically have your own bedroom but will likely have another ISA student of the same gender as a housemate.
You may elect to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Cultural Activities in Chile
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the city and culture of Valparaiso. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Valparaiso special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included historical tours, language exchanges with local students, tours of Neruda's Valparaiso home and the art museum, Mueso Fonck.