Beginning Spanish Oral Comprehension and Production
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso
Valparaíso and Viña del Mar, Chile
Area of Study
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits6
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units9
Hours & Credits
NAME OF COURSE: Oral and written comprehension, and oral and written production for beginners
NUMBER OF HOURS: 90 class hours
CREDITS: 06 COURSE
CODE: PIIE 143- 1
PROFESOR: Felipe Mayorga
Description of the course: From a communicative and intercultural orientation, this class –at a basic level- integrates Spanish language and Chilean culture in order to take advantage of the total immersion context where students live, study and travel in Valparaíso, Chile.
General Objective: To develop the communicative intercultural competence in terms of the four linguistic skills from an interactive perspective oriented to the action; so that, students should be able to interact and engage into different contexts meaningfully and appropriately through diverse communicative activities.
Specific Objectives: (at a basic level)
- To develop oral comprehension skills in terms of authentic, diverse and different texts in order to perform in everyday contexts.
- To develop oral production skills in terms of authentic, diverse and different texts in order to perform in everyday contexts.
- To introduce students -at a basic level- to discourse modes in order to comprehend and produce different types of simple written texts.
- To review main aspects of discourse: rhetoric situation and situational context.
- To involve students with Chilean culture through field works and diverse, authentic oral and written texts in order to establish a relationship between their own culture and the one they are experiencing.
- Review and analysis of authentic, diverse and different oral and written texts not only in terms of their linguistic resources but also in terms of the communicative situations where they take place.
- Review of the concept of register (frozen, formal, informal, and intimate) from a functional focus.
- Communicative contexts: Valparaíso and Viña del Mar - personal, public, academic - from a comparative, socio-cultural focus.
- Various field works and a written intercultural journal.
- Texts: Structure and textual linguistic resources.
- Punctuation (comma, period, colon, etc)
- Rhetoric situation: Audience, topic and purpose.
- Expository lessons.
- Pair work and group work tasks.
- Oral comprehension exercises.
- Oral production exercises.
- Reading comprehension exercises.
- Written production exercises.
- Intercultural Journal (writing)
- Error analysis.
- 2 oral presentations, 10% each (20%)
- Intercultural Journal 10% (writing)
- Oral and written comprehension and oral and written production exercises 20%
- Class attendance and participation, 20%
- Final Project: 30% (oral and writing)
- Contemporary Chilean movies: Short selected scenes.
- Contemporary international sitcoms.
- Chilean rhymes and songs.
- Valparaíso en 100 Palabras 2017 (Audiolibro)
- Every day Chilean news.
- Field Work Dossier.
- Cassany, D. (1998). Reparar la escritura: didáctica de la corrección de lo escrito. Barcelona: Grao.
- Lagos, Daniel. Diccionario Lingüístico del Habla de Valparaíso. Universidad de Playa Ancha, Valparaíso, 2005
- Álvarez, Pedro et. Al. Chi Logo, ¡Llévele el Ícono Nacional, Oiga!, Universidad del Desarrollo, Santiago de Chile, 2010.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.