Universidad del Norte
Area of Study
Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4
Hours & Credits
Civil and Environmental Engineering
This is theoretical and practical course, where the student’s previous knowledge in areas such as geology, soils mechanics and structural engineering is integrated. This will help the student develop the professional skills necessary for designing and constructing the two most useful types of foundations in Civil Engineering works.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES
After completing the course, the student must be able to:
- Identify and recognize ground exploration methods. Determine the number of boreholes and its depth. Develop and analyze stratigraphic profiles and borehole records.
- Know the applicable current regulation concerning foundations.
- Identify the main types of foundations, its characteristics, uses, and construction processes, taking into account environmental effects.
- Determine the load capacity and the settlement of superficial and deep foundations.
- Determine the geotechnical stability of retaining structures.
Implement the mostly used methods to perform slope stability analysis.
Planning and scheduling of ground explorations
General concepts about foundations and its relationship with geotechniques.
Analysis and design of superficial foundations, load capacity and settlements
Analysis and design of Deep foundations, their bearing capacity and settlements
Slope stability analysis.
BIBLIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCES: text book, other supplemental materials
Foundation analysis and design
Joseph E. Bowles
Foundation analysis and desing
Braja M. Das.
Pile foundations in engineering practice
Shamsher Prakash - Hari D. Sharma.
Diseño y construcción de cimientos
Soil and foundations
Cheng Liu, Jack B. Evett
The engineering of foundations
Geotecnia y cimientos
Interaccion suelo estructura
Manuel Delgado Vargas
Excavaciones en condiciones complejas
Moya, Salazar F., Salazar R., Gómez A.
Essentials of soil mechanics and foundation
David F. McCarthy.
Pile foundation analysis and design
Poulus. E. H. Davis.