Spanish Language & Latin American Literature
The Universidad Latina - Heredia is a highly regarded private university and part of the Laureate International Universities network. The campus is made up of a number of buildings interspersed with sun-lit courtyards, green spaces and quiet tropical gardens. Founded in 1985 as the Universidad Internacional de Costa Rica, the school's undergraduate and graduate programs are also fully accredited by the Costa Rican Ministry of Education.
Today, it offers undergraduate courses in a wide area of practical sciences, education, and business-related fields. The Universidad Latina strives to make education accessible to both the traditional full-time student and the non-traditional working student. The university's enrollment is currently growing at a rate of about twenty percent a year, a strong testimony of the school's value and quality.
Summer 1 2020
May 30, 2020 - Jun 20, 2020
Mar 25, 2020
45 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- Apply Now
Designed for students interested in the Spanish language and/or Latin American literature, this program offers courses to ISA students at the intermediate and advanced levels of Spanish. You will be able to enroll in either one 45-hour intermediate Spanish language course or one 45-hour advanced Spanish language or literature courses. Your language level will be determined by the number of semesters/quarters of college-level Spanish you have previously taken.
You will benefit from an intimate classroom environment with other ISA students, and enjoy a lovely and quintessential college campus at the Universidad Latina. Courses are taught by the faculty at the university.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
Students must have completed or tested out of a minimum of two semesters (three quarters) of college-level Spanish
To participate in this program, you must be 18 years of age or older.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
4 - 5
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Students wishing to enroll in any advanced Spanish courses must have completed at least four college semesters of Spanish or the equivalent by the beginning of the program.
- Students wishing to enroll in the intermediate course must have completed at least two college semesters of Spanish or the equivalent by the beginning of the program.
- Only Intermediate I Spanish will be offered during the Summer 1 program, and only Intermediate II will be offered during the Summer 2 program. Students may opt into enrolling in the back-to-back Summer 1 and 2 programs and progress through two levels of Intermediate Spanish.
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers. You should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancelations.
- You will be in class with other ISA students and be taught by a local professor.
- Please note that the course codes listed with the course titles are codes used by the host university but do not correspond to course level recommendations. We advise that each institution have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regarding course levels.
- Transfer credits earned will be decided entirely by your home university. It is important to be in touch with your university about course approvals and transfer credit pre-departure.
- According to ISA policy, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home university.
- Language placement will be determined by the amount of Spanish courses a student has completed in college. See Course Selection for details.
- Students must have completed two semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent to enroll in this program.
Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Costa Rica Program Manager.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing in Heredia allows students to enjoy an immersive experience living in a Costa Rican (Tico) home with a local family. With an open mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture will be both educational and highly rewarding.
ISA Heredia homestays allow students to experience aspects of Costa Rican or "tico" lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor. All housing is located in middle to upper class neighborhoods near the Universidad Latina and offers glimpses of everyday life with easy access to city amenities. Homestays include breakfast and dinner every day (except for excursion days) and laundry service once a week. In your homestay you will have your own bedroom, although there may be another ISA student living in the same homestay. This will be a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a new place and live as a local would, so take advantage, immerse yourself in the "pura vida", and let yourself become a Tico!
You may opt to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price. By choosing to opt out of ISA housing, you are responsible for researching and reserving housing, and paying all fees, deposits, and rent directly to the housing facility that you choose.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Arenal * Optional
Arenal Volcano is located near the agricultural community of La Fortuna, where it dominates the village landscape. You will have the opportunity to tour a local sustainable farm, relax in the area's hot springs, gaze upon glowing hot boulders descending from the volcano in the night, and enjoy optional activities, such as horseback riding and hiking through the rainforest.
Punta Leona * Optional
On this excursion, you will have the opportunity to visit Carara national park, a famous national park in Costa Rica that is known for its rich biodiversity. You will also spend the night in a hotel on a private reserve on the beach, where you can enjoy the spectacular views, free activities, and optional tours.