Spanish Language, Latin American Studies & Courses with Locals
The Universidad Latina - Heredia is a highly regarded private university and part of the Laureate International Universities network. The campus is made up of a number of buildings interspersed with sun-lit courtyards, green spaces and quiet tropical gardens. Founded in 1985 as the Universidad Internacional de Costa Rica, the school's undergraduate and graduate programs are also fully accredited by the Costa Rican Ministry of Education.
Today, it offers undergraduate courses in a wide area of practical sciences, education, and business-related fields. The Universidad Latina strives to make education accessible to both the traditional full-time student and the non-traditional working student. The university's enrollment is currently growing at a rate of about twenty percent a year, a strong testimony of the school's value and quality.
Spring 1 2020
Jan 11, 2020 - Apr 25, 2020
Oct 15, 2019
180 - 210 Contact Hours
2.50 Minimum GPA*
- This session is in progress and is no longer accepting applications.
Designed for students at the advanced level of the Spanish language (4 or more semesters of college-level Spanish), this program is an ideal option for those hoping to have an immersive experience in Costa Rica.
You will have the opportunity to take classes from the regular course listing at the Universidad Latina, where you will learn alongside Costa Rican students and be taught by faculty at the university. You will also be able to enroll in a variety of Latin American Studies and Spanish Language courses, where you will benefit from intimate classroom settings with fellow ISA students.
You can combine the Spring + Fall OR Fall + Spring sessions at a discounted price. For more information about this option, please contact your ISA Costa Rica Program Manager.
Students must have a minimum grade point average of 2.50.
MINIMUM ADMISSIONS PREREQUISITES
Students must have completed or tested out of a minimum of four semesters (six quarters) of college-level Spanish
To participate in this program, you must be 18 years of age or older.
Comprehensive Advising and Support
Comprehensive Health, Safety, and Security Support
Tuition at the Host University
Meals and Laundry Service
Bridging Cultures Program
ISA Discovery Model
Official Transcript from the Host University
Professional Development Toolbox
Full-Time Resident Staff
On-Site ISA Offices
180 - 210
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits
12 - 14
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units
18 - 20
- Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
- Course availability is based on enrollment numbers. You should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last-minute class cancelations.
- In the Latin American Studies and Spanish Language courses, you will be in classes with other ISA students and be taught by faculty at the university.
- In classes offered by the regular course listing at the Universidad Latina, you will learn alongside Costa Rican students and be taught by faculty at the university.
- Please note that the course codes listed with the course titles are codes used by the host university but do not correspond to course level recommendations. We advise that each institution have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regarding course levels.
- Transfer credits earned will be decided entirely by your home university. It is important to be in touch with your university about course approvals and transfer credit pre-departure.
- According to ISA policy, you must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by your home university.
- Language placement will be determined by the amount of Spanish courses a student has completed in college. Students must have completed four college-semesters of Spanish or the equivalent in order to enroll in this program.
Requests for sample syllabi can be made to the Costa Rica Program Manager.
select allclear all
- Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Support & Funding
Funding Your ISA Program
As an ISA participant, you have the opportunity to apply for scholarships and grants that can be applied directly to assist with your study abroad programs. ISA offers over $1,000,000 in scholarships and grants each year. To see what opportunities are available, please visit the Scholarships and Grants page.View all Funding Options
ISA Housing in Heredia allows students to enjoy an immersive experience living in a Costa Rican (Tico) home with a local family. With an open mind and flexibility, the experience of living in another culture will be both educational and highly rewarding.
ISA Heredia homestays allow students to experience aspects of Costa Rican or "tico" lifestyle that are inaccessible to the average visitor. All housing is located in middle to upper class neighborhoods near the Universidad Latina and offers glimpses of everyday life with easy access to city amenities. Homestays include breakfast and dinner every day (except for excursion days) and laundry service once a week. In your homestay you will have your own bedroom, although there may be another ISA student living in the same homestay. This will be a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a new place and live as a local would, so take advantage, immerse yourself in the "pura vida", and let yourself become a Tico!
You may opt to secure housing independently. If you select this option, you will receive a discount equal to the housing portion of the program price. By choosing to opt out of ISA housing, you are responsible for researching and reserving housing, and paying all fees, deposits, and rent directly to the housing facility that you choose.
THERE’S MORE TO DISCOVER WITH ISA
Bocas del Toro
Admire the exquisite blue waters of the Caribbean, lush vegetation, and fascinating biodiversity in this chain of mangrove islands off of the coast of Northeastern Panama. You will tour Dolphin Island, Red Frog Beach, Cayo Coral, and Punta Hospital. These are all excellent places to observe dolphins, red frogs, large starfish, and monkeys.
Arenal Volcano is located near the agricultural community of La Fortuna, where it dominates the village landscape. You will have the opportunity to tour a local sustainable farm, relax in the area's hot springs, gaze upon glowing hot boulders descending from the volcano in the night, and enjoy optional activities, such as horseback riding and hiking through the rainforest.
Irazu & Basilica de los Angeles
The Volcán Irazú is an active volcano just outside of San José with several craters, including one filled with a brilliant, green lake. After visiting the volcano, you will enjoy lunch with a stunning view of the central valley and visit one of Costa Rica's most iconic buildings, La Basilica de Los Angeles.
Monteverde * Optional
The Biological Cloud Forest Preserve in Monteverde is incredibly rich in biodiversity, representing more than 2,000 species of plants, 400 species of birds, and 100 different species of mammals within its 26,000 acres. Hiking, bird watching, and horseback riding are just a few of the popular activities here. Don't miss out on the highest canopy tour in all of Costa Rica - swing through the forest on cables 130 ft. above the ground!
Cultural Activities in Heredia
The ISA on-site team encourages you to explore the culture of Costa Rica. The team facilitates this by offering a robust calendar of events that showcases what makes Costa Rica special.
These activities vary each term, and previous offerings have included cooking classes, dance classes, a tour of the National Theatre, a scavenger hunt at the Heredia market, an exchange with locals, etc.