Early Childhood Community Arts Project
Queensland University of Technology
Area of Study
Early Childhood Education
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4 - 6
Hours & Credits
OverviewSynopsis:This unit has a focus on pedagogies, planning and assessment within the curriculum organisers of the New Basics, the Preschool Curriculum Guidelines and the key learning areas. It aims to increase knowledge and understanding of how curriculum organisers and outcomes can be used to plan intellectually challenging curricula for young children.Learning OutcomesOn completion of this unit, you should be able to:
ContentThis unit will cover the following topics:
- participate as professional educators in community arts experiences for young children, recognising the importance of relationships and partnerships within communities.
- communicate effectively and professionally with others, and about quality arts programs, within a range of social and cultural contexts.
- design quality arts experiences that respond to and support the diverse abilities, learning needs and interests of young children.
- work cooperatively with teams of people that includes colleagues, school/centre, university and community personnel.
- enter consultative, collaborative and critical relationships that are embedded in communities of practice, and a valuing of the arts
Approaches to Teaching and LearningThis unit is taught through an innovative combination of workshops, independent learner-driven experiences and engagement with communities of learners and educators.AssessmentAssessment name: Professional PlansDescription: Involves identifying appropriate pedagogies and team and community responsibilities and considerations. This task will demonstrate your understandings about quality arts pedagogies and curriculum as part of community engagement.Length: 1000 words.Relates to objectives: 2, 4 & 5.Weight: 40Internal or external: InternalGroup or individual: GroupDue date: Early-SemesterAssessment name: WorkbookDescription: You are required to record your experiences of the key content of this unit. Your workbook should be in a digital format (on-line CD-ROM, other) and will focus on pedagogies aspects of programmed activities. Length: 2000 words or equivalent.Relates to objectives: 2, 3, 4 & 5.Weight: 60Internal or external: InternalGroup or individual: GroupDue date: Late-Semester
- you are required to re-familiarise yourself with the content of curriculum documents for the Arts.
- You are then required to apply your understanding of these documents to generate processes which enhance young children's engagement with the arts.
- Topics for study include: pedagogies for equity and diversity; pedagogies for learning in and through the arts; pedagogies for intellectual engagement; planning in a team; planning with a community; and professional participation as an educator with young children.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.