Modern Times (Literature and Culture in the 20th Century)
Queensland University of Technology
Area of Study
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4 - 6
Hours & Credits
The twentieth century is a time of significant developments and major transformations in writing and culture. This unit focuses on a number of twentieth century writers from Europe, England, Africa, Asia, Australia the Americas, from modern to postmodern times, and explores the connections between texts, language, culture and society.
On completion of this unit you should be able to:
1. demonstrate an understanding of some of the major literary movements of the twentieth century through careful reading of literary texts
2. interpret, discuss and analyse a range of twentieth century texts
3. demonstrate in written and oral argument an understanding of how texts engage with their specific cultural and social contexts
4. apply literary and cultural theories to an analysis of texts in oral and written forms
5. gather, analyse and use relevant material from a range of sources including the internet in your presentation of written and oral assignments.
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.