Food, Nutrition and Health
Gold Coast, Australia
Area of Study
Health Science, Nutrition and Food Science
Taught In English
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4.5 - 6
Hours & Credits
This subject examines the relationship between food, nutrition and human health. It provides an introduction to nutrients, nutrient food sources, nutrient functions and deficiency states and the role of nutrition in human health and development. Students use this knowledge to critically examine major nutrition challenges of our time, including obesity, micro-nutrient malnutrition and the role of nutrition in human performance.
1. Describe the nature, food source and physiological role of the major nutrients in terms of normal human health and development.
2. Identify and describe the signs and symptoms of major nutrient deficiency and toxicity states.
3. Discuss the role of nutrition and diet in the etiology of major nutrition-related disease states.
4. Describe and use existing evidence-based frameworks developed to support dietary guidance and nutrition assessment.
5. Discuss the contribution optimal nutrition makes to human development and performance.