University of Otago
Dunedin, New Zealand
Area of Study
Taught In English
Course Level Recommendations
ISA offers course level recommendations in an effort to facilitate the determination of course levels by credential evaluators.We advice each institution to have their own credentials evaluator make the final decision regrading course levels.
Recommended U.S. Semester Credits3 - 4
Recommended U.S. Quarter Units4 - 6
Hours & Credits
An introduction to the principles of finance, especially in the context of a business. Topics also covered include ethics in regard to handling money and relevant laws and regulations.
Lectures and Tutorials
Upon successful completion of this paper, students should be able to:
- Understand the business environment through the different forms of business that exist
- Understand and solve problems related to the time value of money
- Give rough estimates of the values of shares and bonds
- Have an understanding of ethical issues associated with the handling of money
- Critically analyse investment decisions
- Apply risk and return models to businesses in practice
- Understand how financial decision making contributes to business knowledge.
Essentials of Corporate Finance 3rd Edition, by Stephen Ross, Rowan Trayler, Ron Bird, Randolph Westerfield, Bradford Jordan, ISBN: 9780071013185(2013)
Courses and course hours of instruction are subject to change.
Eligibility for courses may be subject to a placement exam and/or pre-requisites.
Some courses may require additional fees.
Credits earned vary according to the policies of the students' home institutions. According to ISA policy and possible visa requirements, students must maintain full-time enrollment status, as determined by their home institutions, for the duration of the program.
Please reference fall and spring course lists as not all courses are taught during both semesters.
Availability of courses is based on enrollment numbers. All students should seek pre-approval for alternate courses in the event of last minute class cancellations
Please note that some courses with locals have recommended prerequisite courses. It is the student's responsibility to consult any recommended prerequisites prior to enrolling in their course.